After month, still no suspect in Craig Park rape

In Local News

The rape happened April 20, when a 19-year-old college student was sexually assaulted in Fullerton

Safety for women is at issue in Fullerton.

It’s been almost a month since the Craig Park rape and police still have no suspect in custody, said Fullerton Police Department Sgt. Mike MacDonald.

The rape happened April 20, when a 19-year-old college student was sexually assaulted while she was out for an evening jog at Craig Regional Park, according to police reports.

Det. Ron Bair, who is in charge of the case, said the department is not letting up on the investigation. “Our motto here is no stone unturned. We are constantly getting leads. We’re going through all of them. We’re working really hard, and the safety of the community is at stake.”

MacDonald said the victim described her assailant as black, with a very light complexion, 6 feet tall, weighing approximately 200 pounds, with short hair. 

Fullerton Police Department issued a press release April 24 in order to make the public aware of the incident, said Bair.

“We gave the information to the community for two reasons: One, to safeguard the community, and two, to request their help,” he said. “I’m happy to say a lot of information has been coming in through the tip line. It is hard to say what’s coming in, how many leads, but we’re investigating all of them. They’re all very good leads and very good information, and they all are being gone through.”

With leads, but still no suspect in custody for the rape, Officer Hazel Perez gives cautious warnings to joggers. 

“There should always be a state of awareness,” Perez said. “Jog in well-lit areas. If you’re going to go jogging, go during the daylight hours and always with someone going with you or knowing where you are. Don’t jog with headphones on. Be aware of your surroundings.” 

Bair assures that the Craig Park case is still the number one case that he and the department are working on. 

“There’s a process for cases like this, looking for the bad guy is only part of that. I mean there’s other aspects that were looking into. A sexual assault examination is done to determine whether it was a rape or not. We’ve not yet gotten back the lab results for this case. How long it takes to get the results back depends on the lab’s caseload, and it depends on what they’ve got. Unfortunately its not like CSI on television where the results come back in an hour. That would be great if it worked like that, but it typically never doesn’t,” Bair said. 

With the ongoing investigation, anyone with information about the case is asked to contact Bair at the Fullerton Police Department, (714) 738-6762.