Vehicle crash injures journalist

In Local News
UPDATE (8:26 a.m.): The woman who was struck by the vehicle is Cal State Fullerton student and Daily Titan Staff Writer Van Le. Le will be released from the hospital tomorrow, she said.
Updated: 8:15 a.m.
A Daily Titan staff writer was struck by a car with enough force to send her 10 to 15 feet while crossing Nutwood Avenue at Commonwealth Avenue as she was waitng to cross Nutwood toward Cal State Fullerton’s main campus around 6 p.m. Wednesday, eyewitnesses said.
Van Le, a senior and communications major, was transported by ambulance to UCLA medical center with non-life threatening injuries.
“I thought she was going to get killed right there,” said Matt Rodarte, a Fullerton resident who saw her get hit.
“You know how you take a rag-doll and throw it up in the air? That’s what she looked like, just like a rag doll flying in the air,” Rodarte said.
Before ambulances arrived on scene, Le was conscious and writhing in pain in the street a few feet from the curb while witnesses tried to help her.
Le was struck when the driver of the Infiniti tried to beat a yellow light while crossing Nutwood and had to avoid a gray Toyota Matrix turning left across its path, Rodarte said. It then hit a white GMC Yukon that was turning right onto Nutwood and bounced into Le before running head-on into a traffic-signal pole.
Le had stepped into the street before the Infiniti hit the SUV with enough force to push it completely onto the sidewalk and knock over a smaller traffic signal, according to eyewitnesses.
“Had she been standing two feet back, she would have been crushed between the pole and the car,” Rodarte said.
The driver of the Yukon, Carolina Durazo – who was visibly pregnant – had no apparent injuries, but she was transported by the Fullerton Fire Department for medical attention, Evelyn Mercado, the front-seat passenger’s cousin, said.
Four children, one as young as five years old, were also riding in the Yukon and were not seriously hurt.
“They’re all really scared,” said Mercado, the girls aunt, who was holding the youngest girl.
Stunned students looked on from the corners of the intersection while cars piled up in either direction before police arrived on scene.
Faculty and staff filed out of the College Park building to see what had happened and clustered around the scene one witness called a “jumbled metal mess.”
The driver of the Infiniti had no apparent injuries and declined to give his name or comment.
At the time of press, Campus Police would not release any information on the driver of the Infiniti, or if chargesUPDATE (8:26 a.m.): The woman who was struck by the vehicle is Cal State Fullerton student and Daily Titan Staff Writer Van Le. Le will be released from the hospital tomorrow, she said.
Updated: 8:15 a.m.
At the time of press, Campus Police would not release any information on the driver of the Infiniti, or if charges will be leveled against anyone involved. will be leveled against anyone involved.

Updated: Accident occured on Nutwood and Commonwealth Avenues

Updated: 8:15 a.m.

At the time of press, Campus Police would not release any information on the driver of the Infiniti, or if charges will be leveled against anyone involved.

Fullerton residents at a city council meeting

Fullerton residents voice concerns over CSUF fraternity house

Residents voiced their concerns to the Fullerton city council on Tuesday about living near a CSUF fraternity house. Many

Samantha Huerta exercises on a bench her feet on the ground and elbows on the bench with CSUF cross country.

Samantha Huerta represents CSUF cross country, named player of the week

Samantha Huerta, a cross-country runner in her third year at Cal State Fullerton, was named women’s cross-country athlete of

Photo Illustration showing a housing development.

Proposition 1 could authorize bonds to fund housing

Proposition 1, known as the Housing Programs and Veterans’ Loan Bond, would authorize bonds to fund housing assistance programs,