Learn all about web hosting

In Features, Top Stories

(Photo: MCT Direct.) If you’re a college student that is new to online business, you likely have many questions about web hosting. Luckily, you don’t need to be technically savvy to understand how web hosting works. With the right information, you can choose a reliable web hosting company that provides your website the customized hosting plan it needs.

Who needs web hosting?
Web hosting is a crucial component involved in taking your business online – along with your domain name and your website design. In order for your website to “go live,” you must have a web hosting service.

What is a web hosting service?
A web hosting service provides physical storage for your website’s content. Your web host’s server functions as the home of all the data – files, graphics, audio files, etc. – that visitors see when they navigate your site.

Why pay for web hosting services?
If you’re serious about making your business a success online, it’s best to consider a monthly hosting fee a small price to pay for the support you will receive. Think of your hosting costs as renting space for your website – much like rent you may pay on your dorm room or college apartment. While free web hosting options certainly exist, they often carry too much risk for the prudent business owner. These risks include insufficient space and bandwidth, frequent downtime and the inability to profit from advertising placed on your website.

Where can I find a reliable web hosting provider?
In today’s crowded online arena, there is no shortage of web hosting companies from which to choose. However, many of these companies attract customers with misleading offers and false information. Before you get stuck with a web hosting company that can hinder your online success, be sure to ask questions and read the fine print. A professional web hosting company should offer uptime reliability, customer service, and other tools that can help you manage and promote your website more efficiently.

When do I choose web hosting – before or after I register a domain name?
While web hosting and domain name registration are two important parts of your website, they may exist separately. Your web hosting company should be able to accommodate your hosting needs regardless of where you register your domain name. Your web hosting company may, however, offer a free domain name with your hosting package – an added bonus, especially if you are just getting started.

How much web hosting space and bandwidth do I need?
Hosting is not a one size fits all package. In fact, your web hosting needs will depend on the unique needs of your business and the nature of your website content. For example, if you have an ecommerce site that uses many images to promote your products, you will have an increased need for storage space. Also, the more your site asks visitors to interact, the more bandwidth you will need. Finally, consider the amount of traffic you expect and find a website hosting package with enough bandwidth to accommodate your visitors.

Your choice of a web hosting provider – and a hosting plan – will depend on several factors. By giving careful consideration to your business’ current needs and future goals, you can find the hosting that works for your business website.

Guests hug each other at the memorial service for Augie Garrido on Nov. 9.

CSUF honors the Titans baseball head coach Augie Garrido

CSUF baseball players, coaches, alumni and members of the CSUF athletic department commemorated the life of Augie Garrido, a

CSUF volleyball middle blocker Summer Kerins celebrates senior night with her family and head coach Ashley Preston when the Titans faced the Cal Baptist Lancers.

CSUF volleyball salvages one set against Cal Baptist on senior night

CSUF volleyball dropped its final home match of the season 3-1 to Cal Baptist University on Tuesday night, giving

The ‘Mayans M.C.’ takes ‘Sons of Anarchy’ to a new level

The “Mayans M.C.” season finale gave fans an answer to the season’s biggest mystery, but brings more unanswered questions

One commentOn Learn all about web hosting

• Great information, I will be linking back to you and going to look around at your other posts.