Men’s soccer ties with Coastal Carolina 1-1

By Cesar Gonzalez

Daily Titan Staff Writer

The Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer team came from behind to tie 1-1 with the visiting Coastal Carolina Chanticleers Friday night at Titan Stadium, their first game of the Big West Challenge.

Sophomore forward Michael Denny scored the game-tying goal in the 61st minute after sophomore midfielder Oscar Aguero got taken down in the box by Chanticleer goalkeeper Scott Angevine.

The Titans were trailing at halftime 1-0 after they committed a foul 35 yards out; Coastal Carolina took advantage of the foul and scored on a cross by senior forward Robert Hunter who found junior defender Ross Kelly in the six-yard box, who headed the ball passed Titan goalkeeper Trevor Whiddon.

The Titans were pressuring the Chanticleers numerous times but could not convert.

The team had a good opportunity three minutes into the game when senior midfielder Shay Spitz had a shot face-to-face against the goalkeeper but could not finish the play since the goalie blocked the ball as he was going near the post.

After the first half, both teams had scoring chances and only Coastal Carolina converted and took a 1-0 lead at halftime. The Titans had five shots on goal compared to one for the
Chanticleers.

Both teams were playing aggressively throughout the whole game, as both teams picked up a lot of fouls.

In the second half, the Titans were determined to tie the game after trailing, and they came out with a free kick taken by senior forward Matt Sanders. However, he shot it right into the goalie’s hands.

The Titans finally ended up tying the game when Aguero got a pass through and tried to get by the goalie but got taken down.

The referee signaled a penalty kick, and this gave the Titans the opportunity to tie the game.

Denny took the penalty kick and kicked it to the lower right corner, beating Coastal goalkeeper Angevine.

After tying the game, the Titans were determined to go for the win as they kept pressuring the Chanticleers, trying to capitalize on any mistake.

Sophomore forward Kevin Venegas had a clear shot but was blocked by the goalkeeper, keeping the game tied.

The teams then headed into overtime where a golden goal would win the game for either team. Neither team had any clear chances to score in either the first or second overtime.

“I’m proud of the way that the team played tonight,” said Head Coach Bob Ammann. “We were unlucky tonight not to get the result; we were clearly the better team.”

Denny who tied the game for the Titans said the team played a tough game, battled until the end, and played well.

Denny felt his game-tying goal gave the team a boost, and it allowed them to move forward as the game progressed.

Another Titan player who had of opportunities to score was Sanders, but he had a shot deflect off the post, the ball just would not go in.
“The team needed to play the ball on the ground more, and had trouble connecting passes during the game,” Sanders said.

The Titans look to improve their record Sunday against the University of Denver at Titan Stadium.