Museum Day grants free admission to hundreds of institutions on Saturday

By Meghan Alfano
Daily Titan Assistant News Editor

Art, science and history are all preserved and displayed in museums. Museums allow individuals an up-close view of

Fullerton Museum Center is among the hundreds of museums offering free admission with a Museum Day card Saturday, Sept. 26. Cards are available by downloading them from Smithsonian Magazine’s Web site at http://smithsonianmag.com/museumday/. Photo by Shruti Patel.
artifacts that they would not see elsewhere, and give a view of history from all over the world and all different time periods. However, some are discouraged by the price of admission.

On Saturday, Sept. 26, Smithsonian Magazine will be hosting their fifth-annual Museum Day, in which participating museums will open their doors to the public for free.

According to the magazine, “Museum Day is a celebration of culture, learning and dissemination of knowledge.”
Museum Day started in 2004, and the idea behind it is to emulate the free admission policy of the Smithsonian museum in Washington, D.C., said Elizabeth Stoll, promotions coordinator of Smithsonian Media.

“Museum Day represents Smithsonian Media’s commitment to making knowledge and culture accessible to everyone, whether they are able to travel to the nation’s capital or not,” she said.

To be able to attend, patrons must visit the event’s Web site, and print out an admission card. Each card allows admittance for two guests, and one card is permitted per household.

Last year, approximately 200,000 people partook in events held by 900 museums located across all 50 states.
“We have some extraordinary museums across the country participating that typically charge upwards of $15 a person. Attending Museum Day can save someone attending a lot of money,” Stoll said.

She added that the Smithsonian expects to attract 300,000 people to more than 1,000 museums this year.
Roger Paz, a 21-year-old senior and computer science major at Cal State Fullerton, was unaware of Museum Day, but upon hearing about it, said that he would be interested in attending. “I think it’s a great way for people to get to a museum who otherwise wouldn’t because they are put off by having to pay,” he said.

“I would love to go now that I know what it is,” said Allie Harris, 21, a theater major at CSUF. “I don’t feel like I get to see enough art.”

Various museums throughout Los Angeles and Orange County are participating in the event, including: the Huntington Surf Museum in Huntington Beach, the American Museum of Ceramic Art in Pomona, and the Museum of Latin American Art (MOLAA) in Long Beach.

The Fullerton Museum Center is an option for those who would like to participate in Museum Day at a local venue.
The museum, which is located at 301 N. Pomona Ave., is currently promoting an exhibit called “100 Worst Album Covers,” a collection of album art gone sour.

“This exhibit is just a fun exhibit that will make you laugh at all the crazy album art,” said Stephanie Tash of the Fullerton Museum Center.

Also on display is “Solid Design: Leo Fender’s Telecaster,” displaying a variety of Telecaster guitars – which was the first commercially successful solid-body electric guitar and an instrument that changed music history. The exhibit includes Telecasters once owned by celebrities such as: George Harrison, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Roy Buchanan, James Burton, Don Rich and Mike Bloomfield.

The Fullerton Museum Center can be contacted at (714) 738-6545 for more information regarding “Museum Day” or any exhibits on display.

For a complete list of museums involved in “Museum Day,” visit www.smithsonian.com/museumday.