CSUF alumnus survives suicide bomber’s attack

In Campus News, News, World News

By Brandon Angel

On Monday, former student and graduate of Cal State Fullerton’s business school, Adam Motiwala, 24, was injured during a deadly suicide attack at the United Nations food agency’s Pakistani headquarters

“There was a huge bang, and something hit me. I fell to the floor bleeding,” said Motiwala to the Associated Press.

Motiwala, alumnus from the class of 2006, was a former president of the Muslim Students Association at CSUF. Motiwala was born in Orange, Calif. His parents, Abdul, 60, and Zahida, 45, raised him in Diamond Bar.

Motiwala, an information officer for the World Food Program, suffered injuries to his head and legs and bruising to his stomach. Shrapnel from the suicide bomber was found in his head behind his ear, as well as in his ankles. Motiwala was last reported to be in stable condition and is being held at a hospital in Pakistan. He was the only American citizen to suffer injuries from the incident

The suicide bomber, who was described as being in his 20s, detonated the explosives in the lobby according to the AP. In order to gain access into the building, the attacker dressed as a paramilitary uniform officer and asked if he could use the restroom. It was said that he had about 18 pounds of explosives. It is unusual for someone to infiltrate the U.N. building because typically security is very tight, and the building is located in a wealthy neighborhood inside of Islamabad. The Taliban are looking for new targets and have vowed to continue to attack the Pakistani government and the U.S., as long as they both continue with drone attacks against the Taliban

According to Sameerah Motiwala, his wife, he was working for the WFP in Islamabad, Pakistan, in his office in the U.N. building when the blast occurred. A lone suicide bomber attacked the U.N. building in Islamabad killing five others. At least two of the victims were women. Motiwala was a friend of one of the victims

Sameerah Motiwala also said that doctors have not cleared him for operation because they are afraid that surgery may put him more at risk. However, Motiwala is expected to have surgery, just not in Pakistan. She also said that it is the U.N.’s policy to provide medical treatment to those who work for the organization who were affected by the bombing. The U.N. is planning to move Motiwala to Dubai, which is the largest state in the United Arab Emirates or back to the U.S. Dubai and the U.S. have larger medical facilities that will be able to give the proper care to Motiwala.

“As of right now he is in a lot of pain, but overall, he’s OK. He’s more in a state of shock from what just happened to him and others. Many Americans don’t know and understand what’s going on around the world. It’s a large and devastating situation out in Pakistan. Adam is there to help those in need as well as bring awareness to the issues that exist in the world,” said Sameerah Motiwala.

Adam and Sameera have been married for 16 months. They both met at CSUF where Adam was working toward his bachelor’s degree and Sameerah toward her master’s. Sameerah graduated from UC Davis and lives in Washington, D.C., with her family.

Motiwalla quit his job as an information technology consultant at Deloitte, a major international and accounting firm and joined the WFP in September because he wanted to serve others, “which is something he holds dear in his heart and firmly believes in,” said Sameerah Motiwala.
Motiwala’s friend Medhi M. Islam, 36, who works for Human Resources in the Diversity and Equity Programs at CSUF, spoke about Motiwala. “Adam is an amazing guy and friend. He’s sociable and always active. He’s a humanitarian. At Deloitte & Touche he was making significantly more money, and he quit to take less money and work for the WFP just so that he could help others, but that’s just the type of person Adam is. He’s all about helping others. Hopefully the people responsible for this heinous crime will be brought to justice.”

When asked if his son would leave the WFP after what took place, Abdul Motiwala responded, “My son is a good man, and it’s his passion to help others. All I’m worried about is his health but, in knowing my son, I believe that he will continue to help others no matter what because helping others is what he is all about.”

The Pasillas family, father and sons, pose in front of their workspace for the Rialto Printing Company.

Voices from Home: The Pasillas family represents their city with the Rialto Print Company

Few people are aware of how much thought and time is put into a T-shirt design, but what began

An electric vehicle charging station at CSUF.

CSUF to add more electric vehicle charging spots on campus

As part of a statewide goal, Cal State Fullerton plans on adding more electric vehicle parking stations in an

The crowd looks forward to the Levitt Pavilion anticipating an Anderson .Paak performance.

Anderson .Paak holds charity concert for Brandon Anderson Foundation

“Yes lawd!” yelled hundreds of people in the crowd as Anderson .Paak took the stage on Saturday at MacArthur

7 commentsOn CSUF alumnus survives suicide bomber’s attack

• Wow that is seriously insane! I’m glad he is ok!! Pakistan really is no joke and most people really don’t understand what’s up in the world rather than their own little one! Wow.

• Inshallah adam will be fine and will joint the family soon. He is a very nice person. all our prayers are with him.

• I’m so glad to hear that he’s ok, alhamdulillah. Just watched his short video on facebook and he looks ok, he still has a small procedure which will take place in a couple days. Please pray that it goes ok and that we get to see him soon.

• Alumni is plural. Alumnus is singular. Wake up editors! Can’t believe you didn’t catch this. As a former Op Ed editor for this publication I am disappointed!

• Sumanah Mithani

I knew Adamn really well. He was a good friend, a mentor in some ways. When I heard about this I was in shock. I’m glad he’s ok. Our prayers are with him and his family.

• Great guy known him since he was a teen, inshallah he’ll be fine!! Prayers are with u!!

• I thank Allah SWT that Adam is doing well. InshaAllah soon he will be with his family and his wife Sameera Siddiqui. I am here in Pakistan and knew of this attach but did not realizes who was this person till my daughter emailed me. My prayers are for him to recover fully and be with his family and extended family of relatives and friends soon InshaAllah.