Daily Titan sits down with lacrosse’s Ansel and Cole

In Club Sports, Sports

By Brandon Angel
Daily Titan Staff Writer

Junior attack Mike Ansel scored 106 points for the Titans last year. Photo Courtesy EYEinIphotography
Junior attack Mike Ansel scored 106 points for the Titans last year. Photo Courtesy EYEinIphotography.

An inside look at an athlete is something that many fans can appreciate. Getting to know an athlete on a semi-personal level is comforting to fans and everyday people because it gives them an opportunity to see what type of person an athlete really is.

Cal State Fullerton junior Mike Ansel, 21, a communications major, and freshman Chris Cole, 19, undeclared, are two of the premier players on the Men’s Lacrosse Club.

Ansel, who came out of El Toro High School in Lake Forest, Calif., plays attack for the Titans, while Cole, a graduate of Foothill High School in Santa Ana, plays midfielder.

Last year, Ansel was the Southern Lacrosse Conference player of the year, leading the nation in Division II Men’s Collegiate Lacrosse with 104 points in 16 games.

Cole was part of three consecutive Southern Section championships. He was an All-American and was one of the top scorers in the Sea View League.

After winning their conference, the lacrosse club went on to the national tournament where they lost to Emory University in the first round.

Recently, both Ansel and Cole sat down and answered some questions about their personalities and their aspirations as lacrosse players.

Daily Titan: Tell me something about each of you that no one on the team knows about?

Mike Ansel: Well, this is going to sound a little weird, but I pay $35 for my haircuts.

Chris Cole: I’m really into koi ponds because I love fish and the relaxing sound of the water.

DT: What is more meaningful to you, scoring a goal or preventing one?

Ansel: It has to be scoring a goal. My position is attack so that’s what I live for, which is scoring goals.

Cole: I love to prevent a goal because it demoralizes opponents when they can’t score on us.

DT: What do each of you love the most about lacrosse?

Ansel: I love that lacrosse is a laid-back and very fun sport. It doesn’t get a ton of national attention but, man, it is fun to play! The scoring of goals, physical play and constant attention you must pay to your opponent is what makes the sport great. Also, if you keep your head on a swivel, you’re going to take some punishment.

Cole: I love the constant action and perpetual motion of the sport. There are no dull moments in lacrosse, which makes the sport great. Since I’m a very confident guy, I love to embarrass the defense. I’m very competitive, and lacrosse brings out the best in me.

Freshman midfielder Chris Cole led Foothill High School to three consecutive Southern Section Lacrosse championships. Photo Courtesy Chris Cole
Freshman midfielder Chris Cole led Foothill High School to three consecutive Southern Section championships. Photo Courtesy Chris Cole

DT: Who taught you how to play the game?

Ansel: My coach at El Toro High School, Pat Gowan, taught me how to play lacrosse. I owe him a lot for showing me the right way to play lacrosse. His assistants, Randy Josselyn and Greg Guy, were also instrumental in my development as a player.

Cole: John Fox, my high school coach. He helped make me the player that I am today.

DT: Who is your favorite player?

Ansel: Well, I’m kind of cheating, but I have to say I have two favorite players: Ryne Olson and Jordan Michaels.

Cole: Michael Watson.

DT: Favorite team?

Ansel: Syracuse Orangemen.

Cole: Ohio State Buckeyes.

DT: Who inspires you to be the best?

Ansel: Michael Powell of the Boston Cannons. He’s a great all-around player and defines the word tenacious. He never gives up, and the way he plays just inspires me to be the best lacrosse player possible.

Cole: My stepbrother, Randale Thornhill. He introduced me to the game and showed me how to go about my business and how to be a good man.

DT: How do you apply the game of lacrosse to your daily lives?

Ansel: In life if you don’t put in the effort, you’re not going to see the results. In lacrosse, like in life, there are no shortcuts in becoming a successful person.

Cole: Overcoming the odds, determination and dedication are all part of lacrosse. I look at life the same way.

DT: Describe each other’s personality.

Ansel: Chris reminds me of myself in that he’s super confident and sometimes even brash, but he’s a good guy and modest, but once you get on him on the field he’s like me: an animal.

Cole: Mike is a funny and confident guy who likes to be the life of the party. He plays hard and is always working at becoming the best. I see that in myself, so that’s probably why we get along so well.

A spread of fresh vegetables: strawberries, peppers, carrots, cilantro, and an apple.

Devil’s Advocate: Significant change begins with vegetarianism

Maintaining a vegetarian diet is better for the environment, people’s health and a more ethical way to live, even

The empty lot of city land that could be the potential new home for the Pathways of Hope Keystone Project.

Pathways of Hope proposes Keystone project to city council to reduce homelessness in OC

Pathways of Hope, a local nonprofit organization, has created the Keystone project in an effort to combat homelessness specifically

Joanne Ferchland-Parella one of three finalists for associate vice president position

Joanne Ferchland-Parella is one of three finalists for the open position of associate vice president for University Advancement —