Health Center offers chiropractics and acupuncture

By Nicole Park
Daily Titan Staff Writer

Alternative medicines such as acupuncture and chiropractic care are offered at Cal State Fullerton’s Student Health and Counseling Center. Photo courtesy MCT.
The Student Health and Counseling Center at Cal State Fullerton offers many medical services to students for little to no cost.

The SHCC is a fully-functional medical facility with a pharmacy, blood and testing lab and radiology and optometry services.

Doctor appointments, X-rays, EKGs, pregnancy tests and chlamydia, gonorrhea and syphilis tests are all free of charge.

Most services are included in the $45 health center fee which every student pays within their semester fees.

Still, there are some services that do cost a bit extra. These include full physicals, immunizations and several blood tests.

There are some services within the SHCC that are not as well known, such as chiropractor and acupuncture.

These are two of the most popular forms of alternative medicine, and both have been provided by the Southern California University of Health Sciences since October of 2007.

Harbor Eastern Medical Group, a local acupuncture practice on Harbor Boulevard near Brea Boulevard, charges $129 for an initial consultation with treatment. The school’s contracted acupuncturist will cost a patient just $5 per visit.

Perhaps this is the reason why Dr. Sivarama Prasad and his interns have been booked through the fall semester since the second week of school. Prasad also notes that the slots fill up fast because his team is only on campus Fridays.

Due to budget cuts and furloughs, two Fridays a month have been cut for the 2009-10 school year, leaving Prasad with only two working days at CSUF a month.

To battle the effects of the furloughs, Prasad has been approved to take even more interns with him, by January at the latest.

For less than the cost of a meal on campus, students can see the doctor and one of his interns for relief in a wide range of conditions.

Prasad said the $5 fee is “not used to pay anyone,” but rather pays for supplies like the needles used to puncture skin on key points of the body.

He is paid by his home school of SCU, so he considers his two Fridays per month at CSUF to be just another part of his job.

No one loses any money and both the interns and the CSUF students benefit, which Prasad called “a win-win for both schools.”

Prasad takes “only seniors at the highest level” for his CSUF internship program. These students are exceptional and about to graduate.

The SCUHS Web site states, “(Acupuncture) can enhance recuperative power and immunity, support physical and emotional health, and improve overall function and well-being.”

The CSUF SHCC Web site states: “Acupuncture is among the oldest healing practices in the world. A form of traditional Chinese medicine, acupuncture aims to balance the body’s positive energy by restoring and maintaining health through the stimulation of specific points on the body.”

This is achieved by the careful and deliberate placement of needles along certain points of the body’s meridians to unblock energy flow.

Also, for $5 a visit, students can be seen and adjusted by the chiropractic team directed by Dr. Brad M. T. Smith on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.

Smith is the supervising clinician over the internship program’s training center at CSUF. Smith’s interns, all of whom are in their final year of study before completing the program, hail from SCUHS.

Because it is what Smith called “mutually beneficial,” the interns are able to put in their 30 to 40 weekly hours necessary to complete the final step before graduation, while at the same time, CSUF students are offered phenomenal pricing for chiropractic care.

Local chiropractors, like Brea-Fullerton Chiropractic on Associated Road, charge $45 per adjustment appointment.

WorldChiropracticAlliance.org states, “The goal of the chiropractic adjustment is to correct the spinal subluxations detected during the examination. To do that, the doctor applies pressure to the bone and ‘unlocks’ it from its improper position. The bone will then be free to align itself correctly.”

A subluxation is the misalignment of one vertebra to the next.

Because this is an educational forum for the interns, no detail goes unnoticed and Smith insists on giving patients the highest in quality care.

Shereen Manesh, 26, is a tenth-term intern and will be receiving a Doctor of Chiropractic degree in December. Students of the chiropractic field must complete five years of school before graduation.

Manesh said that because this is part of their schooling, Smith and all the interns are very thorough with every student patient.

Smith reinforced the fact that this is not your typical chiropractic visit because it is not a business; it is a school lab, essentially, and because of this difference, Manesh said students are not only paying less, but receiving much higher quality care.

“We’re not here to push numbers. A visit could take up to an hour and a half or could be as quick as 45 minutes,” Smith said, depending upon the person’s condition.

The most common complaint interns hear from student patients is neck and back pain, which can be attributed to heavy backpacks and prolonged sitting while studying or in class.

Chiropractic care can aid in easing tension, stress, headaches and even nausea.

Smith said because of unique pain mechanisms in the body, chiropractic care can relieve ailments that may seem unrelated, like nausea.

This is a photo of a girl who is talking in a microphone to an audience.

Purple Tea Party fundraiser raises awareness on epilepsy

With a personal connection to epilepsy, the current high school Miss California, Grace Edwards, created Talent for Epilepsy, a

8 commentsOn Health Center offers chiropractics and acupuncture

• Acupuncture does work. it helps me deal with my allergies and also i use acupunture for relaxation /

• Pretty Girls Forum

Acupuncture helped me a lot in relaxation. It takes away some of my muscle cramps due to physical stress.

• Acupuncture is really a good alternative medicine technique for common ailments such as allergies, minor headaches and pains. I have been practicing acupuncture for 4 years now.

• Acupuncture has been known in China for ages, my mom introduced me to acupunture and i am since been amazed how it can reduce my migraine.

• the Chinese Chiropractor that we have in our village is really good in treating my sprained ankles.~-“

• my dad is a chiropractor and he often amazes me how he could treat my sprains.;.`

• the chiropractors on our area are quite good, i love to learn their trade secret~,”

• Acupuncture is and can be very helpful to all of these problems to any person who understands the actual process of Acupuncture. The process of energy (higher power) transmition through your meridians into your organs which is only achieved with good position. What is good position? Eat healthy, avoid stress, alchohol, drugs, behave properly, be peaceful and so on… Only then can Acupuncture really help a person.