CSUF ranks among ‘Best 301 Business Schools’

In Campus News, National News, News

By Jonathan Montgomery
Daily Titan Staff Writer

Princeton Review’s 2010 “Best 301 Business Schools” issue includes Cal State Fullerton’s Mihaylo College of Business and Economics, marking the third consecutive year the college has been included in the review.

The Princeton Review’s ranking system is based off student surveys and statistical data retrieved from American graduate business schools accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. The review does not rank the colleges numerically; instead, it simply pools together the top schools that have met the requirements.

Faculty and staff see this as an accomplishment and representation of their hard work, which will help potential students, employers and graduates in future decision making.

“We are doing a lot more, significantly more, in terms of marketing the college’s reputation to other business schools and to our community here in Orange County,” said Anil Puri, dean of Mihaylo College.

Puri said the college has made progress over the last several years in being more student-friendly, while continuing to offer small class sizes and accessibility to faculty.

Morteza Rahmatian, chair of the Department of Economics, said Puri’s tremendous support for research has provided enough funding and sources for faculty to be able to produce. Rahmatian added that new faculty has also been spread across all departments within the college.

“In the past 10 years or so, we have been very successful hiring people from very high-quality schools,” Rahmatian said. Included among these schools are professors (from) MIT, Harvard, Berkley and Columbia.

“It really doesn’t surprise me we are where we are, not to brag about it, but we really worked very hard to get us there,” Rahmatian said.

Catherine Atwong, a marketing professor, said how the alumni perceive the value of their education, faculty’s contributions to the academic world and peer ranking from other business colleges also contribute Princeton Review’s ranking.

“Usually alumni contribution is a reflection of how much the alumni appreciate the connection and value of the education” Atwong said.

She said the Princeton Review should be utilized by prospective students, parents, as well as future employers because it allows such interest groups to get a sense of the value of education offered at Mihaylo College.

“For the parents who are mainly supporting the education of the children, they also get assurance that they get their money’s worth,” Atwong said.  “And for the people working in the college, it’s a recognition. It’s a recognition that finally is measured and appreciated.”

Out of approximately 9,000 business schools in the country, 500 of them are accredited by AACSB, Puri said. Two hundred of those schools are accredited for both business and accounting; Mihaylo College is one of them.

Puri said it is this type of acknowledgment that draws the top national accounting firms.

“These firms are very selective in where they do their recruitment; they go to only the top schools.  All … of them come here, every year, and recruit a large number of our students,” Puri said.

Over time, the experience of hiring students from CSUF will reinforce and legitimize belief in the ranking.

“I think it’s obviously a reflection of the quality of the education that the students are receiving here,” said Lori Muse, associate professor in the Department of Management.

“I think the more prominent the college becomes, the better for the students in terms of their being about to leverage that degree to get a job and to enhance their reputation, to try to continue to move up the corporate level once they get that entry level job,” she said.

A photo of Rami Perlman giving advice to CSUF's Music Industry club.

Space Yacht entrepreneur group gives industry advice to CSUF students

Space Yacht, a Los Angeles events collective, was invited by the Cal State Fullerton Music Industry Club on Tuesday

CSUF women's basketball forward Amiee Book waits for a free throw attempt.

Family fuels Amiee Book’s passion of basketball

Ranked second in the Big West in 3-point percentage, international student and CSUF women's basketball freshman forward Amiee Book

Cal State Fullerton women's basketball senior guard Jade Vega dribbles the ball during Cal State Fullerton's women's basketball game against Cal State Northridge.

CSUF women’s basketball looks to snap six game skid

CSUF women’s basketball will look to end their six-game losing streak Thursday night when they host UC Santa Barbara.