Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week kicks off Monday

By Chrissie White
For the Daily Titan

The Volunteer and Service Center will be hosting its fifth annual Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week.

Services will be provided to the homeless, families in need and malnourished children.

This nationally-recognized event will take place Nov. 16 – 19 at Cal State Fullerton.

This year’s theme focuses on the idea that anyone can be homeless and breaking stereotypes to help educate the campus community.

The VSC started in 1995 as the Community Service Action Team, later becoming the Community-based Learning and Service Center.

The VSC’s goal is to provide for the community by coordinating a variety of service and social action projects.

Different activities were created to help educate and promote volunteer service in the community, not just for Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week, but throughout the year.

Adrian Diaz, a senior at CSUF, is one of the project directors of this event.

This is his third semester with the VSC.

“You can come from any walk of life and still be homeless,” Diaz said.

A live exhibit involving a group of eight people holding signs with different messages, such as “I am a scientist,” “I am a student leader” and “I am a sister” will kick off the week on Nov. 16.

The exhibit will show how homelessness can happen to anyone, and will be from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. at Titan Walk.

On Tuesday, a larger group of approximately 15 students in the Quad will take part in the exhibit.
Wednesday will feature a four-tent exhibit.

The first tent will showcase facts and statistics about hunger in the U.S.

The second tent will give facts and statistics about the homeless in the U.S.

The third will consist of personal stories about people who have experienced either being homeless or without food.

The fourth tent will have a resource table with more information on how to get involved, not only with CSUF, but also with outside sources such as the OC Food Bank.

Each student will be given a bracelet as a reminder to volunteer and not judge those who are homeless.

This is the fourth semester junior Ally Bordas, the project director for the event, has been involved with the VSC.

“It’s cool to work in an organization with other student revolutionaries who have a passion for social change,” Bordas said.

On Thursday, tables on Titan Walk will be set up to accept donations.

A food drive, continuing through Dec. 2, will accept non-perishable items.

The students in the VSC hope CSUF students will learn not to judge and have an open mind.

Homelessness is a human rights issue that has not had enough exposure to promote social change, Bordas and Diaz said.

For more information about how to volunteer or more information about the Volunteer and Service Center, call (657) 278-7623, e-mail [email protected] or visit them in the Titan Student Union, Room 2.