Provacative PR hosts tea-tasting and poetry event

By Eric Broude

Daily Titan Staff Writer

A Spot of Josephine and Jane, a tea-tasting and poetry event, will be held this Sunday at the MUZEO, an Orange County museum. The event will be hosted by Provocative PR, a group of public relations students at Cal State Fullerton.

“The event will focus on famous poet Jane Austen and Napoleon Bonaparte’s wife, Josephine Bonaparte,” said James Gubersky, 23, a public relations major and director of marketing for Proactive PR. The event is coinciding with the MUZEO’s “Treasures of Napoleon” exhibit, which is on display until Jan. 8, 2010, according to the MUZEO Web site.

“Jane Austen was a poet and novelist from that era of time,” said Gubersky. “And Josephine was very influential with Napoleon’s policies and was an important figurehead in Europe.”
The poetry readings will be performed by local OC poets and Jane Austen enthusiasts. Other poets will be in attendance. Poetry will include themes of, “Romance, love, women empowerment and individuality” said Carla Reyna, 23, a public relations major and member of Proactive PR.

A group of tea enthusiasts will also be there to speak about different teas, their antique china tea sets will be on display as well.

“They’re a group of mostly women who really love tea,” said Karen Gee, director of marketing & development for MUZEO. They’re bloggers and have their own following.”

The event will include era-themed makeovers provided by students from Marinello School of Beauty.

“We were really thinking about what we could do to celebrate the women of that era,” said Gee. “There were a number of unusual beauty rituals of that day.”

“We wanted to reach out to the college environment,” Gubersky said. “As well as increase female attendance.” He added that there is something there for students of a variety of majors, including history, french, theater, women’s studies and creative writing.

“We have a large English department (at CSUF) so we want students to see what they’re learning in class and to see it brought to life,” said Rayna. She also agreed with Gubersky, saying that it, “Has something that everyone can be interested in.”

The event will take place in the Fountain Courtyard between the museum’s two buildings.

“People can go in to see the exhibit, and then wander out and enjoy the event in the peaceful fountain garden atmosphere,” said Gee. The event will take place Sunday from 1:00 – 4:00 p.m.
Tea tastings will be provided by Pete’s Coffee and Tea. Food will be provided by Champagne Bakery.

Admission to the event is $13 for adults and $9 for children 12 and under. All tickets purchased online at Muzeo.org will be sold with a 25 percent discount. Tickets include access to all parts of the event, as well as admission to the Napoleon Bonaparte exhibit.

One commentOn Provacative PR hosts tea-tasting and poetry event

• Just wanted to see if you could make two corrections:

– PROVOCATIVE PR should be PROACTIVE PR
    it is wrong in the title of article and in first paragraph

– RAYNA should be REYNA
    wrong in 9th papragraph

– PETE’s should be = Peet’s Coffee & Tea
    wrong in 11th/ second to last papragraph