Ailing professor aims to climb Mt. Everest

Cindy Abbott and Husband Larry atop Mt. Elbrus in Russia. Photo courtesy of Cindy Abbott

Despite being blind in one eye and joints giving her problems, Professor of Health Science Cindy Abbott takes on giants. Diagnosed with Wegener’s Granulomatosis, a rare, debilitating and ultimately fatal disease, Abbott is training to climb Mt. Everest, the tallest mountain in the world.

“My immune system is attacking me. It’s attacking my blood vessels,” Abbott, 51, said. “For me it’s attacked my sinuses and my eyes and my throat … You just carry on.”
Abbott’s illness requires constant treatment and drug therapy. She also suffers from transient ischemic attacks which she described as “mini-strokes.” The blindness of her eye led to the definite diagnosis of Wegener’s.

“I’m lucky that I don’t have a more advanced case of it,” she said. “I’m on some support sites where there are people who can’t even walk up a flight of stairs or get out of bed.”
Wegener’s is an “orphan” disease, in that less than 200,000 people are afflicted. Drug companies don’t see a profit in creating medication for so few people, and with only so much research, Wegener’s patients are forgotten.

“Every person is their own case study,” Abbott said. “There’s not enough research, which is why I’m trying to get money for research.”

Abbott hopes that her Everest climb will bring awareness to organizations like the National Organization for Rare Diseases with her climb listed on the Vasculitis Foundation’s Web site as a fundraising event (http://www.vasculitisfoundation.org/node/2247).

“It’s almost like I was given this thing because I can actually do something like this and still have the disease,” she said.

Prior to her diagnosis, Abbott and her husband, Larry, were on safari in Africa and decided on a whim to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro. “And we did,” Abbott said. Kilimanjaro was their first summit. “And then my husband created a monster, because I later saw a special on Everest and said, ‘I think I have to climb this mountain.’ And then I was diagnosed.”

Rather than sit back and wait for the inevitable, Abbott took charge and sped up her schedule. “I don’t know when I’m going to go blind, I don’t know when my joints are going to get so bad I can’t use them to do this any more,” she said. “I don’t know when anything can happen.”

Abbott leaves for Everest on April 1 and will be gone 68 days. The first 10 days will be spent trekking to base camp at 17,500 feet and climatizing. The next month will focus on Abbott and other climbers getting physiologically ready to take on the summit. For three days in mid-May when the jet stream shifts, the climbers will reach the summit and take two days to climb back down.

The trip costs approximately $80,000. “I’ve taken all of my financial resources and put them into this in hopes of showing people to raise funds for research.” Abbott said.

After Everest, Abbott said she’d like to take her husband Larry on a nice scuba-diving vacation as a reward. Larry Abbott, 64, teaches scuba certification classes at Cal State Fullerton, of which the Abbotts are both alums. Along with climbing mountains around the world, the couple also scuba dive and ballroom dance. Abbott has put dancing on hiatus until after the Everest climb due to a problem with her foot.

“It’s going to be really, really hard for him,” Abbott said of Larry and her upcoming Everest journey. “We’ve never been apart before … (We are) pretty strained financially.”
Abbott said Larry supports her completely. “He says that he’d rather me pursue my dreams than not live the quality of life I want.”
Of all of her experiences alpine climbing Abbott said, “It’s amazing standing there after weeks of working to get up there … suffering and struggling.”

She excitedly looks through pictures of climbs she said she’s “dragged” Larry on, remarking on a picture of them atop Mt. Elbrus in Russia, “It’s like you can see all of Europe.”

Abbott hopes that her journey will inspire others to overcome their own obstacles and embrace life. “Life’s for living. If I happen to have a rare disease, so what? I’m going to keep on living and that’s just my attitude.”

When Abbott’s doctor suggested she go on chemotherapy, she refused, despite his insistence that she was taking a big risk. “I said when there’s no life in life, I’m not interested.”

More information can be found on Abbott and her adventures on her Web site, ReachingBeyondTheClouds.com.

Cal State Fullerton plagued by bike thefts

Walking across campus can seem exhausting when a student is already tired from a long day of studying and

The Flying Samaritans take monthly trips to Mexico to provide for patients

At 5 a.m. on a Saturday morning, Cal State Fullerton’s campus is usually close to empty. But once a

• weggieboy

Wegener’s granulomatosis isn’t inevitable fatal, though that certainly is an outcome for about 8% diagnosed with it. The remaining 92% need to be alert to infections and signs of flares (resurgence of the disease from remission).

That said, this does not in any way take away from the seriousness of the disease (which I have, too) or the incredible plans of Cindy Abbott, who has a following of appreciative fellow weggies cheering her on! She is an inspiration to us, proof that weggies can follow their dreams ~ and succeed! In our hearts and prayers, we climb Mt. Everest with her!

You can do it, Cindy!

• Gooner

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
    And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! 🙂

• i have been suffering from sinusitis for so many years and i can only relieve the stuffiness of the nose by means of decongestants.”””

• there are also some alternative medicines that you can try for sinusitis. i have tried some herbal stuffs and it is good for relieving sinusitis too. .;

• i really hate sinusitis, the feeling of having a stuffy nose and headache is really annoying ,

• PNP Transistor

you can say that alternative medicine is cheaper too and usually comes from natural sources :*-