New art exhibit to hit CSUF

In Local News, News
Courtesy of Loren Holland
“We both wanted to do something that wasn’t just an art show but something with a social impact,” Lynn Stromick said in regards to her and her partner Jillian Nakornthap’s, (both curators) desires for their exhibit.

“Embracing Ambiguity: Faces of the Future,” is an art show that will be opening in Cal State Fullerton’s main art gallery at 5 p.m. on Jan. 30, and will display works from 10 multicultural artists living throughout the United States. The show will run until March 5 and will be open Monday – Thursday 12 – 4p.m., and 12 – 2p.m. Saturdays.

“I want it to just be an experience. I want people to be able to be comfortable with their identity,” said Nathornkop.

In order to enhance the attendees’ experiences, Nathornkop and Stromick are creating a learning annex next to the art gallery that will provide videos, books and other materials to those who wish to explore multiculturalism in greater depth. The learning annex opens the same day as the exhibit, but will close on Feb. 19.

The pieces all convey themes of identity and its contrast with the labels society forces upon individuals. Many of the artists are of mixed race, which adds to their desire to establish their own identities rather than allowing society to choose for them, according to a press release.

Laura Kina, one of the artists, will have three works from her “Loving” series exhibited. The series was inspired by the Supreme Court case Loving v. Virginia, which overturned the last anti-miscegenation law. The series consists of nine life-sized portraits of mixed-race friends and acquaintances of Kina.

“The placing of the portraits is ambiguous, not making it clear if they are in prayer or confronting. It is open to let the viewers decide,” Kina said.

Kina explained that normally the series is shown with all 10 portraits placed in a semi-circle, allowing the viewer to become surrounded by the pieces. Each portrait is similar, differing only in the position each subject chose to take, symbolizing slight individuality.

“I was originally going to paint the portraits, but once they were done I realized the sketches were stronger,” said Kina.

Pieces from the “El Sagrado Corazon (The Sacred Heart)” collection by Delilah Montoya will be displayed at the show as well. Montoya’s work has been displayed in various venues, including the Smithsonian, and countries such as Japan, Russia and France.

The series “Is a collection of collotypes that portrays Albuquerque’s Chicano community,” said Montoya.

Montoya’s Mestiza background helped her throughout the series’ creation.

“The community was invited to collaborate in the realization of the project. This collaboration documented the manifestation of the heart as a cultural icon within the participating community,” Montoya said.

Bryce Hudson, another artist, will have three works exhibited. Hudson comes from a blended ethnic background similar to the aforementioned artists.

One of the pieces that will be displayed, “There Goes the Neighborhood,” is “an abstract representation of where I grew up. The white constructions represent the Caucasian cul-de-sac in a neighborhood and the black jet line coming in off the side is me or my family,” Hudson said.

The theme of the show is embracing ambiguity. In regards to the theme, Hudson said, “I have always fit in with the idea of the ‘other’ because I’m constantly trying to not define myself but discover myself in my work.”

The works for Hudson’s “Biracial” collection will also be on display.

“They fit with the theme of the show because the idea behind them is an abstracted vision of trying to find a space and define space not only on a wall but in life,” Hudson said.

These are only three of the ten multicultural artists whose works will be shown. Through art, all the works displayed convey ideas, messages or thoughts that speak to people, mixed or not mixed, according to a press release

“This exhibit is timely right now because Barack Obama is the first mixed raced president. Because it’s a timely matter, I think people will gravitate to the show,” Nakornthap said.

“Each time (multiculturalism) is seen, people will understand it differently. Over time the meaning or message of a piece will change as the world changes around us,” said Kina.

Cal State Fullerton Baseball has four players selected on third day of 2017 MLB Draft

With Cal State Fullerton baseball’s first game in the College World Series just days away, four Titans were drafted