Fundraiser held at local bar for Haiti earthquake victims

In Local News, News, Top Stories
The Night Howls perform at The Slidebar on Tuesday, Feb. 23 to raise money for victims in Haiti. The fundraiser was hosted by the International Association of Business Communicators and the Ad Club. Photo by Lucio Villa/For the Daily Titan

A collaboration between Cal State Fullerton’s International Association of Business Communicators (IABC) and the Ad Club resulted in a fundraiser for Haiti called the “ROCK OFF” at downtown Fullerton’s Slidebar Tuesday night from 7 p.m. until midnight.

“ROCK OFF” raised funds for both groups while showcasing rock bands such as The Nite Howls, Soul Papa and ER, as well as featuring DJ Albie of LRG.

At the door, tickets cost $10, while pre-ordered tickets were $8. Along with the cost of the ticket, guests received two complimentary drinks, meaning attendees had to be 21 or over.

When first planning the event, which took place before the Haitian earthquake, it was meant to raise money for IABC and Ad Club. But after the 7.0 quake that devastated the island nation of Haiti, members of the IABC thought raising money and awareness for the victims was a much better plan and the right thing to do.

“Unfortunately, during our planning the Haiti disaster struck and IABC and Ad Club felt that it was necessary to not only raise awareness but help victims in Haiti,” said VP of Communications for IABC and CSUF senior Lady McDesmond.

McDesmond said that about 20 percent of the proceeds will go to the Orange County Red Cross and make its way to Haiti.

Students and customers packed the Slidebar, which usually caters to people into an alternative atmosphere. Guests enjoyed the bars wide variety of beers and well drinks.

The Slidebar provided all the entrees for IABC and Ad Club guests. VIPs – people who donated extra – were given reserved seating next to the patio outside the bar.

CSUF’s Audrey Huynh, a 24-year-old public relations major, hopes the fundraiser ultimately achieves its goal. “’ROCK OFF’ is supporting two of Cal State Fullerton’s premier student organizations as well as the global relief efforts for The Red Cross to benefit Haiti. The goal of both organizations are to sell out the event, of course! We want to raise as much money as possible and have a good time doing it,” Huynh said.

“There is so much work involved in Haiti’s recovery and it would mean a lot for our contributions to simply make a positive impact on the healing process,” she added.

Students from the communications department planned the entire event from scratch. McDesmond talked about how the organization decided on Slidebar as the host for the fundraiser.

“After a few board outings to downtown Fullerton, we had the opportunity to meet Sean Francis, owner of Slidebar, and the Continental. After hearing our plans to throw a joint fundraiser with Ad Club, he offered his bar/restaurant as a venue free of charge, as a way of giving back to CSUF,” she said.

The President of the Ad Club, Julius Bulson, was happy with the way the event turned out.

“I’m really excited to be working with IABC. It going to a good cause, we’re giving proceeds to Haiti and the red cross.” Bulson said.

When asked if he would do more fundraisers like this, Bulson replied, “Definitely. We’ll do more like this in the future. Our relationship is good with IABC.”

Church gives back to homeless community

Differences in city and shelter codes pose conflict for homeless in OC

Homeless individuals in OC confuse respective city codes and best practice procedures within shelters, said Curtis Gamble, a 58-year-old

A map of sanctuary cities in California

California remains a sanctuary state

On Aug. 1 the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals decision found that President Donald Trump’s January 2017 executive

Tau Kappa Epsilon members

Fraternity TKE looking to return to campus after 20 years

In 1998, the Cal State Fullerton chapter of Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity received several different complaints including someone firing

2 commentsOn Fundraiser held at local bar for Haiti earthquake victims

• i have several relatives who were also vicitimized by the earthquake in Haiti. thank God that they were not seriously hurt. i hope and pray that Haiti would be able to recover soon from this disaster.

• some of my friends who work in haiti were also victimized by that terrible earthquake., i was very thankful that they only suffered minor scratches.