Honors Society pairs with local restaurant to raise money for Haiti

In Campus News, News, Top Stories, World News
Michelle Dal and Elise Lurkin enjoying dinner at the Cantina Lounge during the Sigma Tau Delta English Honors Society's benefit for Haiti. Photo by Nick Marley/Daily Titan Photo Editor

Following the devastating earthquake in Haiti on January 12, aid from all corners of the world has been pouring in to the troubled nation.

The 7.0 magnitude earthquake has left about 1.2 million homeless and 200,000 confirmed dead, with some estimates putting the death toll as high as 400,000.

Aid has been slow to arrive in Haiti due to damage at the airport and seaport.
Now Cal State Fullerton students are offering their help.

Thursday, the Sigma Tau Delta English Honors Society hosted a fundraiser in conjunction with the Cantina Lounge to help raise money for earthquake victims in Haiti.

During the event, called “Tacos for Haiti,” the restaurant gave 20 percent of each bill to Red Cross relief efforts for every student who brought a flier to the Cantina Lounge between 11 a.m. and 10 p.m.

“Our organization was looking for a way to reach out this semester and help the community, and the earthquake was a good cause for us to rally around as it affects not just us, but the world,” Sigma President Rachel Trillo said.

Fliers were distributed around the Humanities building and University Hall, along with Sigma’s table at Discoverfest.

“Well, Sigma has never done anything like this before, and when we were thinking about doing this fundraiser we were told by other campus organizations to talk with the Cantina Lounge,” Sigma event organizer Denise Cobian said. “So we called the Cantina Lounge and Tamara Cruz put everything together.”

Cruz is the Cantina Lounge’s special events director.

“We do a lot of work with student groups on campus,” Cruz said.

Among that work is helping student groups reach the highest number of participants possible.

“Cruz said Thursday is the best time to reach a large amount of students,” Cobain recalled of her advice.

Not just anytime on Thursday.

“We have found Thursdays between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. we have a lot of students coming in after class,” said Cruz.

Also known colloquially as “college Friday,” for most students Thursday is the last weekly day of class.

“We offer 20 percent because we know with the budget problems a lot of groups had their funding reduced, if not cut completely, and we want to be able to help them raise money for their causes,” Cruz said.

“Whether it’s a fundraiser or something for a class project we’re willing to work with students,” Cruz said.

Trillo is hoping to raise “a few hundred dollars” by the end of Thursday night, and noted that all of the money raised will be donated to the red cross.

CSUF baseball faced the TCU Horned Frogs to kick off the MLB4 Tournament in Scottsdale, Arizona

CSUF baseball topples TCU in MLB4 tournament opener

In MLB’s inaugural game of the MLB4 Tournament, Cal State Fullerton baseball kept Texas Christian University at bay behind