Women’s Tennis shunned by Hawaii

In Sports, Spring Sports

The Cal State Fullerton women’s tennis team suffered a tough 6-1 home loss to the visiting Rainbow Wahine of the University of Hawai’i.

The Titans lost all three doubles matches.

Freshman Tiffani Mai and freshman Monica Rodriguez lost 2-8 to Rainbow Wahine freshman Katarina Poljakova and sophomore Barbara Pinterova.

Freshman Monica Rodriguez tries to rally against Hawai'i in a doubles match. Photo by Dave Munoz/ For the Daily Titan

CSUF freshman Malorie dela Cruz and junior Erin Wiesener were also defeated 8-3 by Rainbow Wahine’s junior Natasha Zorec and sophomore Algae Van den Bergh.

In the last doubles match, CSUF senior Jerusha Cruz and junior Karina Akhmedova lost 8-7 to sophomore Alyssa Nafarrete and freshman Allison Gobel.

In the singles matches, Rodriguez lost her match to Pinterova in straight sets 6-0, 6-0.

Dela Cruz had a tough loss to Rainbow Wahine’s Van den Bergh in straight sets 7-5, 5-7 and lost the tie-breaker 10-5.

Wiesener lost her match to Nafarrete 6-4, 6-2.

Cruz battled hard but lost her match 6-3, 6-3 to Gobel.

Akhmedova lost her singles match 4-6, 6-3 and 10-4 in the tiebreaker.

However, in the first court, Mai battled it out against Poljakova and successfully beat her in straight sets 7-6, 7-6.

Mai won the first set with ease, but the match came down to the second set when Mai was up 3-0 but gave up two straight points to Poljakova.

A few points later, Mai was down in the second set 6-5.

Mai came back to win the next two points and win her match for the Titans.

“It was a great match because she had a weak backhand, so I decided to attack it and I was able to step into my shots to keep her from coming with her strong forehand,” said Mai after her match.

“All of our matches were close, it is during crunch time when the points matter the most and it just didn’t fall through,” said Jaycee Cruz after her tough loss.

Cruz also added that Titan Head Coach Bill Reynolds told them they need to support each other and to come out and play hard against Cal State University Northridge.

“The top three girls on our team are Monica, Tiffany and Malorie and we just need to get them to believe in themselves,” said Reynolds after the matches.

“Getting experience on the court is key for us,” Reynolds said, adding that they want to catch Northridge off guard since he knows their a new team.

The team is optimistic that the experience they are gaining now will benefit them in growing individually and as a team.

The Titans look to attack the net against the Matadors of CSUN in Fullerton Tuesday at 2 p.m.