Bare boobs battle breast cancer

In National News, News
Photographer Peter Bruce. Photo courtesy of Peter Bruce

Hundreds of women across the country are baring their breasts for a new project to support breast health.

“b for a cure,” the brainchild of San Francisco photographer Peter Bruce, will compile black and white photographs of more than 300 women’s breasts in a coffee table-style book, with proceeds going to breast-health charities.

“Everybody loves boobs; everybody loves breasts,” Bruce said. “(We thought:) let’s create a book on breasts. And we might as well do it for a good cause and give back some money while we’re doing it.”

Bruce said the photographs will be anonymous and will include women of all ages, ethnicities and walks of life, including women who have lost one or both breasts to cancer.

“This is not a playboy shoot, it’s a real-life project,” Bruce explained. “We want everybody to look at the book and say ‘Wow, these are the people who could actually be affected by breast cancer.’ ”

Bruce is a seasoned photographer who has worked with Playboy, the Melbourne (Australia) Opera, major Hollywood studios and celebrities that include Michael Caine, Elton John and Vanessa Williams.

He became cognizant of the scope and severity of the disease after his wife participated in a 3-day walk in support of breast cancer awareness. After kicking around some ideas, he and a business partner came up with the idea for a book that would enhance the beauty of women’s breasts.

Bruce plans to print 2,500 books in the first run. Sale price will be around $50, with 30 percent of the profits donated to charity.

Although the charities have not yet been finalized, he envisions the proceeds to be split between a large organization with a good following, a juvenile foundation to help future generations and an individual on the cutting edge of breast cancer research.

Cal State Fullerton psychology major Anita Wadwa, 35, said she is skeptical about the project.

“I don’t see how photographing 300 women’s breasts is supporting breast cancer,” Wadwa said. “I wish people could come up with something more creative than nudity to raise money. If some women are willing to do it, great – breasts are beautiful. But I don’t think women need to be exploited, even for a good cause.”

While most of the models will be “everyday women,” Bruce said he plans to include at least one pair of celebrity breasts (anonymously) in the book. Only nude breasts will be shown in the photographs. No faces or bodies will be revealed.

So far, more than 500 women across the country have signed up to participate.

31-year-old Tamisha posed at the photo shoot in San Francisco last month and was surprised at how comfortable she felt.

“I think it’s a great cause and it was easy to donate my time,” Tamisha said. “I don’t personally know anybody who has been affected by breast cancer but it struck a chord in me and I like the approach that Peter is taking with the project.”

Others are less certain.

“In terms of posing for the book, I don’t think I could do it, just because I’m not very comfortable exposing myself,” said CSUF marketing major Carmen Busa, 22. “Even though it’s anonymous, I just haven’t been in that position, I guess. I would definitely be interested in purchasing that book, though. I think the concept is really interesting.”

Busa’s sister Kristine, a CSUF alumna, agreed.

“I would not be comfortable with the pictures either, but I would definitely buy the book because I believe in the cause,” she said. “Our mom had an issue with her breasts and we know a lot of people with that issue in our family.”

“b for a cure” is seeking females 18 and older for upcoming photo shoots in Los Angeles, San Diego and Las Vegas. Bruce said the modeling is done on a volunteer basis.

“(Women) are doing this gratis, free, because they’ve either been affected by breast cancer or they see the beauty in the project,” he said.

For more information on the organization or how to participate, visit the Web site at: bforacure.com.

Cal State Fullerton Baseball has four players selected on third day of 2017 MLB Draft

With Cal State Fullerton baseball’s first game in the College World Series just days away, four Titans were drafted

• Gene

Seems like a really cool project. I have seen calendars and the like for breast cancer where women are covered, etc. but nothing that I would put on my coffee table. I’ll likely buy one when they come out.

• Jacq

I’m glad people are doing anything to support breast cancer awareness and research. I’ve been personally affected and I feel that nothing is more important than the value of our lives. We all need to take care of ourselves! I recently found something that we can all do to take precautions of breast cancer. It’s an app people can easily download onto their iPhones.

The Breast Heath GPS is an important app for all females to have! We’re all busy people. We’re always on the go. Why not plan ahead, find the nearest mammogram screening center and fit it in our schedule? Many people undermine the importance of regular health checks. This is important, and this app makes it easier for us to take care of our health! Check it out: http://appadvice.com/app/361840350

I, myself, think this is a fantastic app! I’ve been personally affected by breast cancer, so I’m a huge advocate, so please, take care of yourself!

• Dr. Paul Rapoport

The person who thinks this exploits women should reconsider. Nor is this nudity. All photos of breasts are no more exploitative than they are indicative of sexual activity.

The difficulty is to make this interesting. It’s been done before, not very successfully. However, there have been very successful breast photo projects: the Breast of Canada calendar, which ran from 2002 to 2007, and a book by Jordan Matter called Uncovered. It came out last year and is a must-read on the subject of women’s breasts.

If anyone thinks that all photos of women fully nude are exploitative, she should run, not walk, to get a copy of Frank Cordelle’s Century Project. Said one woman, among thousands of people who’ve seen the book and its associated travelling exhibition, “I’ve never seen anything more compelling in my entire life.”

• Lect

Stop wearing a bra and less likely to get breast cancer. A bra, especially when tight, reduces flow of lymphatic fluid and after so many years of toxin buildup leads to cancer. chetday.com/breastcancerandbras.htm

also diet

• Elton John is actually a living legend, what a great musical artist he is.`:;

• we can always prevent cancer by regular self-breast exams*..

• elton john is already a living legend with his great musics~:~

• i remember Vanessa Williams as miss usa or something*.’

• Lewis Robinson

the music of elton john has this unique beat and the lyrics are very sentimental”`,

• elton john can be only be the best singer and composer that i know. i like the song Candle In The Wind :”:

• Archibald

I am glad I stumbled upon your website on yahoo. Thanks for the sensible critique. My wife and i ended up just preparing to do some research about it. I will be thrilled to see this sort of great information getting shared freely out there.

• Thanks so much for providing individuals with remarkably special opportunity to discover important secrets from this site. It can be very ideal and jam-packed with a good time for me personally and my office acquaintances to search your website nearly three times per week to see the latest tips you will have. And of course, I’m certainly satisfied with the attractive tips and hints you serve. Certain 3 facts in this article are absolutely the best I have ever had.