Company produces environmentally friendly t-shirts

In National News, News

From reusable bags to energy saving light bulbs and even biodegradable utensils, the eco trend is ever-evolving with new additions every day.

So why not wear shirts that help contribute toward the well being of our planet? Clothing company Bamboo U is doing just that with a clothing line targeted at women and college students.

The Brentwood, Tenn.-based t-shirt company was started in 2008 by Jeff Fulmer, who wanted to start up a company with products that would be as environmentally friendly as possible.

Through some research, this is where he discovered bamboo and organic cotton as a means in making t-shirts and fell in love with the way the material felt.

He thought the two alternative ingredients would make for a comfortable t-shirt. He also decided to focus his line on the female college student demographic. “We are geared to the college market because students are often more aware of environmental concerns and are open to trying new things,” Fulmer said.

Child and adolescent studies major Eunice Kim supports and likes the idea of ‘green’ shirts. “I would get a shirt that contains organic materials because we’re giving back to the environment,” Kim said.

The shirt is made from 70 percent bamboo and 30 percent organic cotton and printed with water-based inks. Bamboo is the fastest growing plant on the planet and is considered an environmentally safe product. It contains no chemicals, requires only water to grow and is self-regenerating.

There are many advantages to sustainable clothing. All of the materials used in sustainable clothing are made from sources that are renewable, recyclable and chemical-free. Regular clothing can contain materials that were manufactured or produced with pesticides and toxic chemicals.

Along with clean and pure standards regarding material, strong moral work ethics are high on the list for Fulmer and his company. Before deciding on a supplier for Bamboo U, he did research on potential companies to make sure that the factories were in good condition and that employees worked in a safe environment.

Elizabeth Hesson, a biology major and member of the Cal State Fullerton Environmental Advocacy Committee, is big on cutting back on waste. She buys only biodegradable products and recycling paper. She also thinks students on campus would be on board with the idea of sustainable clothing.

“It’s great, as long as they’re not growing excess products to make the shirts with. College kids would be into it. With all students, it’s all about comfort,” Hesson said.

Currently, the Bamboo U line is limited to only t-shirts, but Fulmer would like to expand his offerings to hoodies and yoga pants in the near future. For now, “we’re a small clothing company and we want to focus on good quality things,” Fulmer said.

For more information on the clothing line, go to: Store02.prostores.com/servlet/bamboou/StoreFront.

3 commentsOn Company produces environmentally friendly t-shirts

• funny tshirts

intresting stuff.. thanks for the info

• Most bamboo into fabric manufacturers use the same toxic process as making rayon. They basically have to soak the bamboo fiber in a caustic mix of sodium hydroxide. Sodium hyrdoxide = linked to neural disorders among rayon factory workers. There is however an eco-friendly way to process bamboo it’s similar to processing tencel (wood cellulose), however it is not widely used yet.

• Unfortunately, many people do not realize that the work put into clothing is damaging to the environment. Currently, the textile making industry is actually one of the most polluting industries in the world. I’m glad to know that there are people concerned about making a change in this world.

If you guys are interested in more companies with the same great values like Bamboo U, make sure to check out thehotlovemovement.com, a fashion line using 100% organic cotton and water-based dyes. Proceeds from apparel sales also go back to economically disadvantaged areas, where sustainable infrastructure projects are done.