Titan Editorial: Politics overtake government

In Editorials, Opinion

What started as a reasonable proposal (that needed a bit of reworking) to revamp our nation’s health care system, has become one of the largest filibuster extravaganzas, and GOP-soapbox-speech inducing events of our (the average student’s) short lifetime.

What was once a debate between two parties has turned into a prime example of how politics can overtake the democratic process and morph it into a place for childish politicians to throw sand in each others’ faces and call everyone “stupid heads” (metaphorically speaking… I hope).

In an article on CNN by Charles Riley and Jeff Simon it was reported, “Five more House Democrats said Tuesday that they will vote against Senate health care legislation, which puts opponents of reform just 11 votes shy of the 216 needed to prevent President Obama from scoring a major victory on his top domestic priority.”

Photo courtesy MCT. U.S. President Barack Obama delivers remarks on health care reform in the East Room of the White House March 3 in Washington D.C.

Since the bill passed the Senate Dec. 24, Americans have been inundated with articles about politicians decrying Republican tactics to destroy the bill, and denouncing Democrats for using tactics that would allow them to pass the bill no matter what (“Deem and Pass”).

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi has said that she has three plans in mind to make sure the bill passes no matter what.

Day by day, an angry public gets involved in this political debate. Groups such as the Tea Party Movement appear on the front pages in stories of massive gatherings to oppose the health care bill with frequency, and online political forums have become flooded with heated debates between citizens opposed to and supporting the bill.

However, what this bill has revealed more than anything is the public’s confusion, frustration and mistrust in a government that has its economy swaying on a thin string over a bed of syringes, and a nation with its global reputation rapidly decaying with every mistake it makes.

Whether or not the bill passes is just the front of the issue now.

The underlying issue of our mistrust and uncertainty with the government and our president is now being brought to light.

Whether the bill either passes or fails, be prepared for that issue to rise rapidly. Parties will be split and, sadly, politics will continue to get in the way of the democratic process.

As a part of the future ruling generation, we should be angry that it has come to this, and that we will be the ones to pick up the pieces of our fractured and aching country. The blame is not on any specific political party alone, or even the president, but should be carried by the entire political process.

It is embarrassing that other governments have to see us like this; and for the stable, reasonable people of America, it is saddening to read every headline and article about the health care reform debacle.

This bill will be the defining moment of President Obama’s career as president so far, and can easily make or break his chance for re-election. However, what the bill has revealed and created cannot be taken back or glossed over – public initiative and government process are being crushed under the weight of politics.

2 commentsOn Titan Editorial: Politics overtake government