Student volunteers promote green living, host rummage sale

Students shop at the green living event in the Quad, Tuesday afternoon. Photo by Michael Arellano/Daily Titan Staff Writer

Tables of clothes, books, shoes, belts and board games littered Cal State Fullerton’s quad Tuesday as the Volunteer and Service Center’s Student ACT program put on its Green Living rummage sale.

This rummage sale, run by Student ACT’s project leaders, was held in order for the organization to raise money for the Social Justice Summit as well as provide students with examples of how they can live green, said Carolina Franco, a project leader for Student ACT.

“The Social Justice Summit is a one-day conference with 27 different workshops covering a spectrum of social issues that reflect the passions of the project leaders,” said Franco, an 18-year-old photojournalism major.

Some of the issues that the summit will be covering are human trafficking, animal cruelty, healthcare inequalities and the history of Orange County.

“I’m excited for this year’s speakers,” said Asra Amiwala, a volunteer at Green Living.

Amiwala, a 21-year-old liberal studies major, was posted at the henna tattoo both, which formed a line every time there was a passing period.

Amiwala, being a project director for another VCS program, volunteered her inking expertise in order to help raise some more money.

“I was going to help out today anyway,” Amiwala said. “So why not do something I like to do?”

Student Act had a series of volunteers come in to help run their fundraiser. Some of these volunteers were veterans of the center, but most were first-timers.

Standing as both a guard and an informer at the books and board games table, Vince Martinez, a 21-year-old civil engineer major, experienced his first event with the VCS.

Martinez found out about the event through an online mailer and decided to come out and help.

“I made a new year’s resolution to volunteer more,” Martinez said. “I just wanted to do something more meaningful this year.”

It’s a resolution that he is staying true to as he collected money from student shoppers looking for a deal at Green Living’s rummage sale.

It was a fun environment at this year’s rummage sale with a DJ, henna tattoo booth, bake sale and a conveniently-placed churro stand.

This was the third rummage sale put on by Student ACT. On average, these rummage sales have raised $650 dollars for the organization, an amount the group hopes to match this year, Franco said.

But money was not the only motivation for this event. It was also meant to provide examples of how people can reuse and reduce in order to live a greener life.

“We want to make people more conscious of issues in their society,” Franco said. “And raise awareness so students won’t be so apathetic.”

Some of the environmental issues that the organization wanted students to be educated about were fair trade, recycling and individual responsibilities.

These ideas interlock with issues that the group deems important and line up with many of the topics that will be covered in the Social Justice Summit on April 17.

“Come to the summit to be informed,” Franco said. “And find something that you’re passionate about.”