Club attracts people from all over Southern California with live poetry

The Afro Ethnic Student Association’s biannual live poetry event, “Fusion,” took place April 15 at 9 p.m. and continued past midnight at Cal State Fullerton’s Titan Student Union pub.

Fusion brings over 200 college students together to perform their music, comedy and spoken word poems live.

It was a packed event that attracted people from all over Southern California.

“Fusion is a dope forum for artists of all sorts to showcase their talents and authentically express ourselves in a room full of our peers,” said CSUF student Courtney Linsey, one of the performers.

Linsey took a minute to express how appreciative he is of the event. “I am proud of the evolution and consistency that AESA has displayed throughout the years to put together Fusion,” he said. “It was full of positive energy and beautiful people rejoicing at an opportunity to support and encourage our fellow loved ones.”

Linsey was not originally on the list to perform, but arrived early and was chosen for the open mic portion of the show. Linsey performed two of his songs, rapping one and singing the other in front of the crowd.

“I loved how everyone spoke from their heart. Their poetry really reflected their state of mind and gave us a peek into their lives.” said audience member Hershel Will.

“Fusion performers are confident, intelligent and proud of their work. They deliver it to the audience so smoothly and that gives us a warm sensation inside. I always learn new and inspirational things when I attend Fusion,” said CSUF student Nicolette Morehead.