Daily Titan turns 50

On Saturday, the Daily Titan celebrated its 50th anniversary in the Titan Student Union. The event was attended by over 200 guests and contained a panel, silent auction and dinner. The anniversary celebration also doubled as a fundraiser for scholarship’s in the College of Communications.

Professor of communications at California State Fullerton, Robert Sage was a key figure in organizing, planning and carrying out the event.

“We did one for the 45th anniversary. Then there were maybe 100 people. This time we had well over 280 people attend the 50th anniversary,” Sage said. “This time we chose one major story from each of the five decades and had all the student reporters who wrote these stories tell us about the real events that took place as they wrote each of their stories” Sage said.

Guests were dressed up for the $50-a-plate event. A makeshift bar sold alcoholic beverages.

Many attendees used the gathering as opportunity to network.

“Networking was definitely a reason that I wanted to come, as well as reuniting with people,” said Amy Dempsey, a CSUF alumna.

Christee Lemons, a former features editor and assistant web editor, came to the anniversary despite graduating last semester.

“The feature I liked best about working for the paper was the freedom I had,” said Lemons.

For this year’s event, organizers added an interesting twist during the dinner portion.

“This year we have five different advisers (of the school paper) from different eras. We also have writers who wrote for the paper over the last five decades and they talked about their stories,” Sage said.

Items at the auction included CSUF apparel, ESPN’s Bill Simmons “Book of Basketball,” old newspaper clippings with hilarious errors on them and the Jan. 21, 2009 edition of the New York Times featuring President Barack Obama’s inauguration.

Panelist Samuel Chi, the senior editor at Real Clear Politics and CSUF alum, talked about his days working at the Daily Titan.

“I had a great time at the Daily Titan. I learned everything I know about journalism there. I wrote sports mostly. Back in the day, we had a football team and my biggest story was when a player was shot by an off-duty police officer. That was the biggest story I remember doing.”

Chi also gave his take on newspapers today, explaining times are extremely tough financially.

“At the end of the day, you have to pay the bills. Right now, newspapers are all hemorrhaging for cash,” said Chi.

As part of the 50th anniversary, the Daily Titan opened its doors and allowed guests to visit the newsroom. A workshop was also held in the Titan theater.

The 50th anniversary was very special for Rick Pullen, dean of the College of Communications, as he plans on retiring soon.

“I was adviser of the paper from ‘73-’77. I’ve seen students from that era; it’s incredible. It’s like going to a high school reunion,” said Pullen.

Pullen said this anniversary was the best one yet, but that it’s unlikely the paper will see another celebration any time soon. “These events are very difficult to pull off,” said Pullen, adding, “this is the best crowd we’ve ever had at a reunion.”

“The feature I liked best about working for the paper was the freedom I had,” Lemons said.

“This year, we have five different advisers (of the school paper) from different eras. We also have writers who wrote for the paper over the last five decades and they talked about their stories,” Sage said.

Items at the auction included CSUF apparel, ESPN’s Bill Simmons “Book of Basketball,” old newspaper clippings with hilarious errors on them and the Jan. 21, 2009, edition of the New York Times featuring President Barack Obama’s inauguration.

Panelist Samuel Chi, the senior editor at Real Clear Politics and CSUF alumnus, talked about his days working at the Daily Titan.

“At the end of the day, you have to pay the bills. Right now, newspapers are all hemorrhaging for cash,” Chi said.

As part of the 50th anniversary, the Daily Titan opened its doors and allowed guests to visit the newsroom.

A workshop was also held in the during the event.

The 50th anniversary was very special for Rick Pullen, dean of the College of Communications, as he is retiring this year.

“I was adviser of the paper from ‘73-’77. I’ve seen students from that era; it’s incredible. It’s like going to a high school reunion,” Pullen said.

Pullen said this anniversary was the best one yet, but that it’s unlikely the paper will see another celebration any time soon.

“These events are very difficult to pull off,” Pullen said, adding, “this is the best crowd we’ve ever had at a reunion.”

Cal State Fullerton plagued by bike thefts

Walking across campus can seem exhausting when a student is already tired from a long day of studying and

The Flying Samaritans take monthly trips to Mexico to provide for patients

At 5 a.m. on a Saturday morning, Cal State Fullerton’s campus is usually close to empty. But once a

• sunfun54

I attended the reunion and had a wonderful time. It was great to reconnect with so many friends and colleagues after all these years. Congratulations to Dr. Rick Pullen (Daily Titan advisor when I was executive editor in Fall 1974) upon his retirement.

Ed Zintel

• Rusty Sterling

It was great to meet up with so many old friends at the event. And also Congrats to Rick Pullen upon his retirement.