Fun in the sun: Summer music festival guide

In Sound-off

With Coachella come and gone, I’m sure we’re all searching for something to fill the void. Well, music lovers, let me paint you a picture of your summer.

Lollapolooza kicks off August 6-8 in Chicago, Illinois. You can grab a spot in Grant Park for as little as $215 for a regular three-day pass. If you don’t want to go alone, snag a friend and purchase a two-person three-night travel package for $1,129 (VIP passes for $2,499).  Look forward to great performances by Soundgarden, The Strokes, Arcade Fire, Social Distortion, Green Day, The Black Keys, MGMT, Lady Gaga and many more.

Another great event will be the Bonnaroo festival (held in Manchester, Tennesse) from June 10-13. The line-up includes, but is not limited to, Stevie Wonder, Jay-Z, Jeff Beck, Kings of Leon, LCD Soundsystem and She & Him. With so many diverse acts, this festival will surely have something for everyone. Tickets are $250.

For people staying local, there are a lot of choices to look forward to. KROQ’s annual Weenie Roast will be on June 5 at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre. Headlining the event is Sublime with Rome and Stone Temple pilots, along with Hole, Devo, Paramore and more. Get tickets now for $45-$75.

About a month later, Warped Tour will come through San Diego and Pomona on Aug 10 and 11, respectively. The show features a large number of acts from AM Taxi to You Me At Six for $33.

If you want to see acts like Soul Wax and Crystal Castles, head to LA on August 7 and catch 12 hours (noon to midnight) of HARD Summer.  Admission is $60, $65, or $75.

You can also visit the Sunset Junction street fair in late August and see acts like Shiny Toy Guns on the 21, and The Whisperers on the 22 for only $20.

In addition to great festivals and shows, check out Dim Mak Tuesdays at Cinespace on Hollywood Boulevard. Every Tuesday from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m., Dim Mak record label hosts musical guests, DJ sets and a free open bar for college students over 21. Dim Mak Tuesdays have hosted performances by Lady Gaga, Daft Punk, Will.I.Am and Zombie Nation, among numerous others.

There are so many opportunities to spend your summer rocking out, so don’t miss them.

3 commentsOn Fun in the sun: Summer music festival guide