Los Angeles voices opposition to Arizona’s SB1070 anti-immigration bill

In Local News, National News, News, State News, Top Stories, World News
An unidentified counter-protester expresses her dissatisfaction in front of Los Angeles police. Photos By David MUÑOZ/For the Daily Titan

An estimated 60,000 took to the streets of Los Angeles Saturday for the city’s leg of the national Reform Immigration Union 2010 marches, waving red, white and blue flags.

The protest was part of the international “May Day” demonstrations held worldwide, from Athens to McCau.

May Day is synonymous with several public holidays including International Workers Day, also known as Labour Day in parts of the world.

In Southern California, the march was in response to the recently passed Arizona bill, SB1070. Los Angeles was one of over 70 cities in the United States voicing opposition to the bill.

An LAPD bicycle cop looks on as the demonstration passes before him. Photos By David MUÑOZ/For the Daily Titan

The recently passed legislation will be the most rigid anti-immigration law currently active in the United States when it goes into effect this summer.

By signing the bill, Gov. Jan Brewer brought Arizona to the forefront of the controversial issue, drawing considerable criticism nationwide including civil liberty and racial profiling concerns among human rights groups.

Among other measures, SB10170 allows police to check citizenship status based on suspicion alone. Arizona lawmakers claim it is aimed at counteracting the violence of Mexican drug cartels.

Emotions flared on both sides of the issue with signs and banners displaying both messages of equality and intolerance.

The protesters, calling for repeal of the their neighbor state’s legislation and federal immigration reform, were addressed by the likes of pop star Gloria Estefan, Cardinal Roger Mahony and Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, who has publicly boycotted Arizona.

Demonstrators march through Los Angeles with one of many banners expressing their opposition to the recently passed SB1070 anti-immigration bill of Arizona. Photos By David MUÑOZ/For the Daily Titan

10 commentsOn Los Angeles voices opposition to Arizona’s SB1070 anti-immigration bill

• Not all of Los Angeles is against SB1070. I support this country and this law.

• I am in total support of legal immigration. All illegals need to go back to their home country. Apply legally for papers to come back to the USA. Pay taxes, respect our laws before you are entitled to any governmental benefits. Otherwise you are nothing, but a menace to society. You are degrading America. You have turneds America into a third world country!

• i always remember the music of Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine. great music!.’,’

• i really miss the 80s music with Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine’~”

• how could you say that all illegals should go back to their home country when there are people just like your parents or grandparents who migrated here from mexico and if they did it legally its because they were fortunate to have the money to pay the 675 dollars we charge for a citizens test that is full of questions no one who grew up without the teachings of american history would be able to pass, but those who want the freedom and better pay for work america offers who dont have the money to even feed their families which is why they need to work here in the first place is the motivation to survive and provide for your family by taking the risk to cross the desert and river to our land and anyone with the passion and desire for a better life for the family that they love would do, how human do you feel now David LOPEZ?

• others please feel free to comment

• in the 80s, the best singer is of course Gloria Estefan. she has that unique sounding voice .,;

• Great website. A lot of useful info here. I am sending it to a few friends ans additionally sharing in delicious. And certainly, thanks to your sweat!

• I’m juggling about 10 things right now so I don’t have that much time to play around learning how to make a website. What are good resources to jump-start implementing javascript, php, mySQL, etc?.

• Wonderful goods from you, man. Los Angeles voices opposition to Arizona’s SB1070 anti-immigration bill | 
    Daily Titan I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely excellent. I actually like what you have acquired here, really like what you are saying and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it smart. I cant wait to read far more from you. This is actually a terrific Los Angeles voices opposition to Arizona’s SB1070 anti-immigration bill | 
    Daily Titan informations.