Review: Worst Case Scenario

In Arts & Entertainment, Film & TV

On his show Man vs. Wild, Bear Grylls has conquered some of the world’s most uninhabitable areas, from the swamplands of the Everglades to the Chugach Mountains of Alaska. Grylls leaves the great outdoors to face the urban jungle in his new show, Worst Case Scenario.

Worst Case Scenario is based on the best-selling series of books of the same name. It is not the first time the books have been developed into a television series. The original show was hosted by Mike Rowe, currently of Dirty Jobs, and lasted only for two seasons. Now on Discovery Channel, the series is finally given television justice.

The show puts Grylls into various precarious situations, including being stuck in a burning vehicle and facing vicious dogs.

Grylls gives tips and techniques on how to get through these situations unharmed. His narration provides more specific details and facts about each scenario. It is somewhat disappointing to see him back away from rattlesnakes rather than eating them, as he might do on Man vs. Wild, but it is definitely more realistic.

Sometimes the information can be obvious, but the viewer is bound to learn at least one new thing while watching the program. In a recent episode, Grylls climbs a pole to avoid the ground during an earthquake escape, explaining that water with sparks falling onto it could gain an electrical charge.

Although the worst case scenarios are all set up by the crew, viewers can gain insights on how to survive these situations or helping others.

The show might also turn off viewers because many situations involve helping another person in an extremely dangerous situation. Most people are probably just going to call 911 instead of trying to get two people out of a sinking car.

Another interesting aspect of the show is the trivia that takes place before and after commercial breaks. Grylls gives a more realistic worst case scenario, such as getting food stuck in the throat, and gives the viewer multiple choices on how to react. When the commercial break is over, he gives the best answer.

The show works so well because Grylls acts as host, narrator, stuntman and star. Even for viewers that have no plans on using the information provided by Grylls, watching him get out of these scenarios is exciting.

Worst Case Scenario airs Wednesdays at 10 p.m. on Discovery Channel.

Obama Awards recipients wait to receive their awards at the event on Saturday.

Orange County Young Democrats celebrate victory with Obama Awards

Triumphant cheers filled the air as Orange County Democrats, including Gil Cisneros, 39th District congressman-elect and Priya Shah, instructor

A woman from the Tree Society drives a wheelbarrow full of tree parts down a dirt path.

Voices from Home: The Huntington Beach Tree Society plants trees for the community

The city of Huntington Beach often brings to mind a picturesque coastline landscape tucked close to suburban life and

Headshot of Fullerton Police Chief, David Hendricks who resigned on Friday.

Former Fullerton police chief charged with battery

Former Fullerton Police Chief David James Hendricks and Capt. Thomas William Oliveras Jr. were charged on Friday for battery

One commentOn Review: Worst Case Scenario

• If you could please review the techniques used and how this positions viewers would be fantastic, ie. how being the star and following the instructions given by (his voice) the voice over and also how he changes between acting and then adressing camera… all very confusing but if done would be very helpful, after all you do call yourself a reveiwer.
    cheers