Men’s Soccer weekend preview

The Cal State Fullerton Titans men’s soccer team got off to a solid start this past weekend in the Saint Mary’s tournament, tying both games. The Titans tied host Saint Mary’s 0-0 on Friday then also tied San Francisco 1-1 on Sunday. Although the Titans dominated play in both games, these aren’t considered bad results for the team. Junior midfielder Nate Fischer wasn’t disappointed with the results at all. “Overall I was very pleased with our performance. Only conceding 1 goal in 220 minutes of play away from home is something to be proud of. Once the finishing starts to come around we should see those ties turn into wins. We dominated the possession battle in both games now all we need to do is finish,” Fischer said.

The Titans open home play this Friday vs. San Jose State at 7 p.m. This game will be part of the CSUF tournament, and the Titans will also play on Saturday vs. Washington at 2 p.m. Both games should be solid challenges for the Titans, as SJSU made the NCAA tournament last year, and Washington is part of the Pac-10. Junior midfielder Mike Denny is looking forward to the home opener. “I’m really looking forward to the SJSU game because it’s the home opener and it’s under the lights. We know we can play with the top teams in the nation, and I’m really excited to finally play in front of our fans,” Denny said.

The Titans are in one of the toughest leagues in the nation. Playing the teams that they are now, will only help get them ready for the Big West conference. Getting a good result in each game is definitely a main goal for the team this year. Even ties in league will help them reach a top finish, putting them in great shape for an NCAA tournament birth. In the Big West the team who wins the regular season crown gains an automatic birth to the NCAA tournament. Then in the Big West tournament, the team who wins that also goes to the NCAA tournament. This means getting a plus result, either one or three points in every game is important.

Redshirt sophomore Nick Swart and his teammates realize this. “Our goal is to get a result each and every time we go out and play. Everyday and every game we are looking to get a little bit better. We will take one game at a time and by the time league comes around we are still going to have the same goal and that is to come out and get a result,” Swart said.

The Titans are off to a solid start but need to finish better in the offensive end. The Titans took 20 shots in the effort vs. San Francisco. Only scoring one goal is not acceptable for this team. Fischer thought the offensive attack did everything right but score. “Our passing and time of possession is looking great, but we had a few chances that definitely should have been in the back of the net. It’s something that we understand and will improve on,” Fischer said.

With the upcoming tournament this weekend, the Titans will get a chance to do this. Opening at home with SJSU is a great chance to show the Titan fans that this team is for real and ready to make a post season run.

One commentOn Men’s Soccer weekend preview

• This is Nick Posthuma from the men’s soccer team. I am sorry I missed whoever waited for me after the game today. Hopefully this helps whoever was planning on writing an article about the game. There really isn’t much to say about the game. Yes, we came out strong. Yes, I scored an early goal. But when it came down to the final minutes and i had the opportunity to win the game, I didn’t. I take full responsibility for letting the team down in that moment. Had I scored, we would certainly have gone on to win instead of lose the way we did. I apologize to my team, the fans, and any Titan soccer fan. We will be working very hard in training to make up for this. Hope this helps.