Silent Planet makes noise

In Arts & Entertainment, Multimedia, Top Stories, Video
Among the clamorous drums, deep shrill vocals and inventive use of keyboards, Silent Planet is not a conventional hardcore band. The motivating factor behind their big sound is their Christian Faith.

Nathan Benedict, 20, a business major at Cal State Fullerton, has played keyboards for Temecula-based Silent Planet for a year and a half. Benedict always had a passion for music; his passion for performing developed in college. Although he met his band members through different situations, he said they have their faith in common.

“Each one of us had been given a desire to play music to glorify God and that desire brought us together,” Benedict said.

Their faith is manifested deeply into Silent Planet’s lyrics. They each use their musical talents and personal experiences to contribute to the band’s writing process.

The lyrical inspiration of lead vocalist Garrett Russell, 20, comes from personal experiences and “being humbled by forgiveness despite my mistakes.”

Silent Planet’s musical influences vary from bands within their genre, such as Refused and Dillinger Escape Plan, as well as musicians from different genres and decades. They strive to write music on that same level of musicianship.

With songs titles such as “Eucharist,” Silent Planet is not an ordinary hardcore band. The band’s name was inspired by Christian author C. S. Lewis and his cosmic novel, Out of the Silent Planet, which addresses issues of racism, colonialism and religion. The novel has been influential to drummer Jason Scribner, 30, throughout his life and wishes to share “the hope, love and grace of our God that waits to be realized when all our scheming fails to build a perfect future” with the band’s audience.

Outside of the musical aspect, the band, comprised of Nick Marshall (vocals and guitar) and Jay Learue, both 23 years old  ? strives to give time to their fans and show them love. Silent Planet is available to their young fans, so they have the band members to listen to them and help them through their struggles.

“Within the lyrics, you will find information on where that love comes from and what we all believe in, ” Benedict said. “Our motivating factor is Jesus Christ and the stories that tell of his life ? the Bible.”

Although Silent Planet’s genre attracts a younger audience, the band does not have a specific target audience other than anyone who is willing to listen.

“We want to listen to all who listen to us,” Scribner said. “The more eclectic, the better so that we may share in very different walks of life.”

Music is more than entertainment or a hobby for Silent Planet.

“Music is beautiful and infinite,” Scribner said. “It provides the transcendence every human being seeks everyday. It is just a matter of finding the genre that lifts your spirit.”

After paying their dues in writing and in the studio, Silent Planet’s focus is on performing. They hope to play shows once a week and create new music.

“We would love to travel and have the opportunity to share with the world what we’ve experienced,” Benedict said.