Car Show

At the third annual Fullerton Car Show on Oct. 2, the custom and classic cars sparkled in the October sun. Though the morning began with the 200 cars that lined Pomona Avenue soaking wet from the pouring rain, by late morning, the only evidence of rain came from towels draped over chairs, drying in the 80-degree heat.

Judy Flowers, co-chairman and who helped organize the event, said that rain had kept attendance down. But as the sun came out, so did the spectators, and soon hundreds of people had shown up to look at the cars, enter drawings and participate in musical chairs and a frozen T-shirt contest.

Many owners, meticulous about their cars, were afraid the rain would leave spots on the paint. Al Paer, owner of a 1967 Corvette, drove his car from South Orange County in the rain, and continuously wiped down his car between early morning downpours at the event. Some owners, like Bill Sawyer of Fullerton, considered leaving their cars at home.

“This was the first time the car has been wet since I restored it,” Sawyer said, whose blue and white 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Skyliner Retractable was the only kind at the event.
Sawyer said the hardtop convertible often leaves spectators dumbfounded because of its size and technology. The hardtop retracts automatically without using hydraulics; instead, everything is reversible motor.

“The car operates by 10 relays, seven motors, 11 switches and 11 circuit breakers,” Sawyer said. “It’s all screw drives with reversible motors.”

The Skyliner weighs 4,100 pounds and gets 12 miles to the gallon. The car show also had smaller cars, including a 1969 Fiat, which gets 40 miles to the gallon, a 1920s Ford Roadster, an Austin-Healey, and a Volkswagen convertible.

The free event, themed “Legends of the Past,” showed 200 cars and raised money for Fullerton organizations like the Fullerton Police Explorers.

The Fullerton Police Explorers is an organization within the Fullerton Police Department, which trains young adults in all fields of police work. The Explorers assist police officers with report writing, crowd control, fingerprinting, community service and special events.

Officer Hazel Perez recommends the Fullerton Police Explorers for teenagers that are looking for structure or considering becoming police officers.

“It’s a great way to get a foot in the door,” said Perez, who advises Fullerton’s Explorer post 204.

Travis Santa Maria, 18-year-old captain of the Explorers, is interested in becoming a police officer for the Fullerton Police Department. Through the Explorers, Santa Maria is trained in hostage negotiations, domestic violence disputes, shooting simulations and physical fitness.

“(Fullerton Police Explorers) builds character,” Santa Maria said. “It teaches life lessons, leadership and integrity.”

The money raised by the Fullerton Car Show will help Explorers like Santa Maria pay for equipment, membership fees, uniforms and special events.

The Fullerton Boys and Girls club and Women in Transitional Living will also receive money from the car show.
To view a slideshow of cars and see this year’s winners of the Fullerton Car Show, go to FullertonCarShow.com.

CSUF baseball faced the TCU Horned Frogs to kick off the MLB4 Tournament in Scottsdale, Arizona

CSUF baseball topples TCU in MLB4 tournament opener

In MLB’s inaugural game of the MLB4 Tournament, Cal State Fullerton baseball kept Texas Christian University at bay behind