Health Center offers Flu Shots

Cal State Fullerton’s Student Health and Counseling Center is now offering Flu vaccinations by appointment for $10.

“About 300 vaccines are available for CSUF students,” said Darany Hoang, health educator at the Student Health and Counseling Center.

According to the Center for Disease Control, the 2010-2011 flu shot will protect against three strains of the influenza virus, including H1N1, which infected 61 million Americans in 2009.

Despite the H1N1 epidemic, the Student Health and Counseling Center has not seen an increase in vaccinations among students.

“(The H1N1 epidemic) has kind of blown over,” said Long Ngo, a biology major that contracted the H1N1 virus last year.

Ngo, along with Hoang, thinks that memories of the H1N1 epidemic of 2009 will not scare students into getting flu shots.

“Unfortunately, many students feel that they are not vulnerable to the flu and are unlikely to get vaccinated,” Hoang said.

The flu season starts in November, peaking in January or February, and lasts until April. The CDC recommends getting a flu shot in October or November in order to decrease the risk of contracting the virus. The vaccine will last throughout the season.

The flu shot is recommended for pregnant women, people with chronic medical conditions and people that work with the public.

“It is important for students to be vaccinated to protect themselves and others that they are in contact with, including family members, friends, roommates and coworkers,” Hoang said.

Michelle Delgado, a psychology major, gets a flu shot every year and carries hand sanitizer to prevent illness.

To prevent getting the flu, stay away from sick people, cover your mouth when coughing or sneezing and wash your hands frequently to minimize the spread of germs.

Symptoms of the flu include fever, cough, muscle ache and headache. If you have flu-like symptoms, stay home from work or school to prevent spreading the illness to others.

“I understand that school is important,” Delgado said. “But coming to class sick puts other students at risk.”

The Student Health and Counseling center is open Monday through Wednesday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Thursday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. For more information about the flu shot or to make an appointment, visit Fullerton.edu/shcc or call 657-278-2800.