Sameera, a small business’s success

From threading and waxing eyebrows on one single chair, to what is now Sameera Threading and Full Service Salon, owner Meera Mody has found a way to make a small business successful – even in this economy.

Mody said that she has a very particular philosophy about beauty. She opened Sameera not only to make women beautiful on the outside, but she wants to make them feel beautiful on the inside. She also thinks that if businesses are doing a good job for a good price then they will get clients in return.

“Sameera’s services are the best in quality, but also affordable so clients can come back each month,” Mody said.

Samir Mody, co-owner of Sameera, said that the couple – married for eight years – thought big, but took small steps towards developing their business.

“We still never thought the mayor of Fullerton would have ever shown up to our salon,” Mody said.

Well, the Mayor of Fullerton Don Bankhead made his way to the grand opening of Sameera’s on Sept. 30, along with Chamber of Commerce officials from five different cities, including: Fullerton, Placentia, Yorba-Linda, Brea and Buena Park.

“I think one of the jobs of being the mayor is to support new businesses and to encourage others to come into town,” Bankhead said. “From what I can see it is a fantastic shop.”

Fullerton Chamber of Commerce Membership Director Leah Song said that she is impressed with the way Sameera has gone out of their way to bring in the local community. Song also enjoyed getting her eyebrows threaded at the grand opening.

“They look fantastic, it was quick and pretty painless, it’s the first time I’ve ever gotten them done; this was something different for me and I liked it,” Song said.

Although Sameera has already been open for a year, the owners said they wanted to work within their budget and wait until they achieved a full service salon before having their grand opening.

Now the salon has over 15 employees offering threading, waxing, hair care, nails spa, bridal makeovers, henna, bleach and facials.

During the ribbon cutting ceremony at the grand opening, a blessing was put over the salon as an Indian ritual. Red dots were placed on numerous foreheads of the guests and employees, even the mayor received one in the center of his forehead.

Also in attendance of the grand opening was client Lisa Kinder, who has been going to Sameera since it opened a year ago. Kinder said that she drives 20 minutes from West Covina to Fullerton just to get her eyebrows threaded at the salon.

“Someone referred me to Sameera a while back,” said Kinder. “Now I’ve referred five others because of how much I like it.”

In less than a year, the owners said that Sameera is the highest reviewed salon on Yelp.com and has also made the Orange County’s hot list on Fox 11 News for the being the best in quality waxing salon.

Sameera Public Relations and Marketing Director Shafina Dinani said that she was very pleased with the turn out of the grand opening.

“By incorporating cultural tradition at the grand opening, we were able to showcase the essence of Sameera,” Dinani said. “The turnout was fantastic and we were very pleased with the participation of the city Fullerton and neighboring cities Brea, Placentia, and Yorba Linda.”

Obama Awards recipients wait to receive their awards at the event on Saturday.

Orange County Young Democrats celebrate victory with Obama Awards

Triumphant cheers filled the air as Orange County Democrats, including Gil Cisneros, 39th District congressman-elect and Priya Shah, instructor

A woman from the Tree Society drives a wheelbarrow full of tree parts down a dirt path.

Voices from Home: The Huntington Beach Tree Society plants trees for the community

The city of Huntington Beach often brings to mind a picturesque coastline landscape tucked close to suburban life and

Headshot of Fullerton Police Chief, David Hendricks who resigned on Friday.

Former Fullerton police chief charged with battery

Former Fullerton Police Chief David James Hendricks and Capt. Thomas William Oliveras Jr. were charged on Friday for battery