My first time

I remember it like it was this morning. I slipped into my car and drove.

I knew where I was going but I did not know where I was headed. But, before I knew it, I was there.

As I shut the car door, the pace of my heart quickened, the palms of my hands grew damp and adjusting my jacket served as an agent to calm my nerves. Upon approaching the door I found it was already open, as though they knew that had it been closed, my strength would have failed me and I would have fled.

I approached the table and gave my name. She responded, “Oh yes, we have you on the list.”

Relief, that that first step had passed without complications, swarmed over me. Now, for the next step, they placed it in my outstretched but timid hand. That would be my first brush with this experience that many go through as a right of passage in their time as a young adult. Later, it seems, this act becomes routine among individuals in society and those who have taken the jump become apart of an unwritten club, apart of the system.

However, despite my initial fears and thoughts of dissent, I thoroughly enjoyed the entire affair. No longer am I secluded, no, not at all. Rather than being ashamed of following the system, the routine, that women were for ages banned from even dreaming of, I found comfort and pride, that I did it.

Appropriately I admit it was difficult ensuring that the line was drawn clearly, straight and matched with the correct spot. Yet, in my opinion, I got through the entire ordeal with flying colors.

After exiting the station where I had committed the act, I walked up to the man, who proceeded to tell me to insert it in the box and I would be done. I tore off my receipt and slid it into the box.

A smile crept across my face and I turned to exit through the same door through which I had entered. My mom was waiting, and asked, “So, how was it?”

To which I responded, “It was great, quite empowering.”

And that, well that was my experience, my trial and tribulation of casting my very first ballot in the 2010 Midterm Election in the state of California. As for who I voted for, well let’s just say a good girl never votes and tells.

From left to right, Randy Ear, Julia Kong, Milan Le and Lauryn Dang represented Asian clubs at the Q&A panel.

‘Bao’ teaches us the importance of cultural identity and family

A discussion on cultural identity and food was presented at the Diversity Initiatives and Resource Center’s “Bao: Expression of

A photo of Stormtroopers from the 501st Legion in front of the Anaheim Central Library.

AnaCon: Comics and Sci-Fi convention brings ‘Star Wars,’ ‘Game of Thrones’ and ‘Harry Potter’ to life

Stormtroopers walked beside proton-blasing Ghostbusters, but weren’t catching ghosts or fighting the Rebels — they posed for photos alongside

Hank LoForte at the plate for CSUF baseball

CSUF baseball drops midweek matchup against San Diego

A five-run second inning was all the University of San Diego baseball team needed to win as they defeated