Adam Darling shakes up the music scene

In Arts & Entertainment

Cue the rhythmic guitar, soulful beats, melodic chorus and enticing voice. Los Angeles-based artist Adam Darling, 28, is making his way onto the music scene one hit at a time. His first full-length album, Ready, Aim, Fire, was released Nov. 9, featuring his tantalizing single, “Break My Heart.”

Originally from Columbus Ohio, Darling moved to Los Angeles in 2005 to fulfill his dreams of making it big in the music industry.

“L.A. was the right place for me. I came out to visit and loved it, and decided to make the big move. I had been planning on it for awhile,” Darling said.

Darling’s interest in music began at a young age, when his mother instructed him to take piano lessons.

“I took piano for seven or eight years. When I was 12, I picked up the guitar because a friend of mine started learning and I wanted to learn as well. That age is when I hit a point where I really started liking music,”Darling said .

Darling recognized his talent for singing in his mid-teens.

“A few years after playing the guitar, I embraced the singing aspect and it happened when I started writing songs and lyrics. I’d give them to my friend of mine named David, who would sing them initially. Then I felt that they were so personal that I wanted them to be sung a certain way, that I had to figure how I could do it myself,” Darling said.

Once in Los Angeles, Darling wasted no time in attaining his goal of tackling the music industry.

“I put a band together right when I moved here. I had recorded a previous record that I used at a demo to get people interested, and I booked gigs at the Temple Bar and was able to play the Viper Room and the House of Blues and a few other places just on my own,” Darling said. “Then I took time and focused on the songwriting aspect and wanted to be as professional as I possibly could, and ended up starting my own record label, Movata Records. I believed in the songs enough and I believed in keeping my creative rights that I wanted to take control of my own career as far as not waiting for somebody else to sign me or propel my career. I wanted to do it as much as I could, on my own.”

Darling’s influences are all across the map. From classic rock to pop to hip-hop, various genres have inspired his songwriting and music.

“I like listening to all types of music. I’ve been on a big hip-hop kick for awhile. I really like Kanye West, Timberland and all the production of hip-hop music, and the way it makes people move,“ Darling said. “But I also like very melodic and soulful stuff, like John Mayer, Maroon 5, Soundgarden, Chris Cornell and Sting. They’re definitely influences. Anything I’m into becomes an influence into my songwriting, just because it makes me feel good so I want to bring that element into my songwriting and musical production.”

After two successful album release parties at The Roxy in Los Angeles and Skully’s in Ohio, Darling is currently working on headlining a spring tour in venues along Southern California and through the Midwest to promote his new album.

Fans love Darling’s unique sound.

“I like the sound of his music ? that he’s soulful and writes his own songs. He’s a mix of John Mayer and Adam Levine of Maroon 5,” said fan Lori Trimble.
His fans appreciate the diverse elements of his songs.

“The music is fun, sexy and romantic. He sings about love and the songs have a great message. He’s a very unassuming person, but comes to life when onstage,” said publicist Issen Alibris.
Darling appreciates the wide range of support he’s gotten.

“People have been real supportive, and I look forward to getting better and giving them a better show and better songs in the future,” said Darling.

Darling will perform at The Roxy in Los Angeles on Jan. 21 at 9:30 p.m.