Comedian promotes education

In News, Top Stories

The Entertainment and Tourism Club hosted a comedy show Wednesday night, Dec. 8 at Cal State Fullerton, featuring comedian Ernie G.

The comedy show was held to help promote the Entertainment and Tourism Club’s big fundraiser next semester, which will feature five of Orange County’s top comedians in the pavilions of the Titan Student Union.

Ernie G (Ernesto Tomas Gritzewsky) is a Hispanic-empowerment comedian who has been seen on shows such as ¡Que Locos! (GALA), Comic View (BET) and Latino Laugh Festival. He has also worked closely with comedian George Lopez.

“This is a smaller comedy show with the comedian that will be hosting the big one, and it’s to promote our February show. He does empowerment comedy,” said Taylor Somera, 21, president of Entertainment and Tourism Club. “He focuses on the Latino community at a high school age, and children who think college is out of their range, or has never even come across their minds. He empowers them to do anything and go to college.”

He graduated from Loyola Marymount University with a bachelor’s degree in psychology and a minor in Chicano studies. He has his own form of comedy he likes to call “Latino Edutainment – educating and entertaining with a Latino flavor.”

By integrating his personal experiences into his comedic “edutainment” performances, Ernie G is touching college and high school students all around the country with the story of his academic journey toward college graduation.

His comedy has been seen in hundreds of school campuses nationwide. As a result of his success, he has become the official national spokesperson for the Hispanic College Fund.

He has also been honored by the city of Los Angeles with the Mario Moreno “Cantínflas” Award for representing the Latino community with humor and his power to help those in need.

CSUF students laughed as Ernie G made the audience an active part of his show.

“We’re hoping to give students some energy for finals,” Somera said.

Free Rockstar Energy Drinks, bottled water and nachos were served to students who came to watch the show.

“I want to destress from studying from finals. I’ve already started, so I’m stressed out and need something to be fun,” said Cynthia Flores, 22, a business administration major.

The Entertainment and Tourism Club began as a club for communications major and eventually crossed over to business, it now incorporates both majors.

“This is my first year on the executive board. We have all these different connections to industry professionals and can get students internships and hopefully jobs one day,” said Andrew Meshot, 23, Vice President of Marketing.

The Entertainment and Tourism Club has been actively promoting the upcoming fundraiser in February that will seat about 600 people.

“It takes quite a bit of effort. A lot goes into marketing and trying to get the students out,” Somera said. “We’re in the classroom so it’s kind of a hard location to promote and get the students to go across campus, but we‘re trying.”

2 commentsOn Comedian promotes education