Panda Express Opens in the TSU

In Campus News, Multimedia, News, Video
William Camargo/Daily Titan

Chinese food has always been a dining option for Cal State Fullerton students, but Busy Bee is no longer busy at feeding students. Panda Express has replaced Busy Bee in providing students with what some are calling “better Chinese food.”

“I like it because it has more variety,” said Armenia Garcia, 21, a human services major.  “I like the orange chicken (from Panda Express) better.”

Tony Lynch, director of campus dining, said that because Busy Bee was not a recognizable name, Auxiliary Services Corporation and Associated Students Inc. worked together to bring in a national Chinese cuisine brand to the Titan Student Union that would be accepted by the students. Surveys collected over the years by the TSU voted Panda Express as the students’ favorite Chinese restaurant.

Lynch said that a favorable bottom line of increased profits are expected to rise right along with customer satisfaction. And so far sales are looking good.

“(Student reaction has been) extremely, extremely positive just in the few days it has been open for business,” Lynch said.

Even if the food does taste better, Nathan Marton,19, a business major, isn’t too thrilled about the price increase.

“The orange chicken is better but it’s more expensive,” Marton said.

Noor Rawas,19, a biology major, recognizes that Panda Express is more expensive, but she figures it averages itself out compared to other restaurants on campus.

“You still end up paying $7 or $8,” Rawas said. “Because of the quality of the food, it doesn’t really matter to me.”

The majority of students disliked Busy Bee and are happy to see the change this semester. But for Kacey Magsino, 20, a communications therapy major, Busy Bee wasn’t so bad.

“A lot of people weren’t used to Busy Bee so I can see why most people are kind of turned off… because it’s not that popular,” Magsino said. “But there were some days when they would be pretty good.

Panda Express is widely noted as the leader in its market sector and can now be found next to The Green Burrito in the TSU. If there is one thing that students will agree on, it is that the orange chicken is worth the try.