A vicious cycle: Friends with benefits and booty calls

I’ve been told debate exists over whether or not a “booty call” and “friends with benefits” are the same thing.

They are not. I’m here to explain the distinct difference between the two, and to tell whether one or the other can continue forever and why.

A booty call is when you call someone strictly for “booty,” or sex. Your relationship with the person you called is based strictly and solely on hooking up. You typically don’t text each other during the day, there are no movies or dinner, certainly no gifts and absolutely no talking about feelings or other personal topics. You shouldn’t have feelings for someone you’re basically using for your own sexual benefit anyhow.

Friends with benefits are two people who hook up and are friends. Their relationship is based on sex and friendship. Their friendship is maintained by doing activities together. These activities must steer clear of anything reminiscent to a date; dinner and movies where only one person pays is an activity a romantically involved couple — not friends with benefits — partake in. The friendship can also be maintained by being there for each other by talking during the day and telling each other some, but not too much, personal information.

Neither a booty call nor friends with benefits can last forever. The main reason is jealousy. Booty call partners might not get jealous as easily since they’re essentially using each other for sex and nothing more. Also, either booty call partner might be involved with other such partners, so it’s easier for feelings to be more detached (it’s also easier to contract sexually transmitted diseases this way. I highly advise against booty calling).

Friends with benefits, on the other hand, might develop jealousy toward their partner or “friend” quicker since a degree of feelings is involved. Perhaps neither partner loves or even has the slightest romantic feelings toward the other yet, but even the smallest amount of these “friendship feelings” can stir up jealousy.

We are animalistic and competitive by nature. Our competitive drive causes us to generally dislike sharing ? especially sharing our partner’s feelings and bodies with others.

The second reason neither relationship will last forever is because of romantic feelings (not to be confused with the smaller degree of feelings involved with jealousy). Again, booty call partners are less likely to end their sexual relationship over this because their morals have probably fallen by the wayside, so they probably don’t have an emotional capacity to develop such feelings. This isn’t to say that they’re incapable of falling in love at first sight with the booty, literally or figuratively. Hey, when there’s a connection, there’s a connection.

Friends with benefits develop romantic feelings because their friendship blossoms into love, just like with many regular friendships that don’t involve sex. When you’re exchanging feelings with another person, you almost innately develop a sense of respect for them. Respect can grow into a small or large fascination toward this person. Add together respect, fascination, jealously and feelings, and you have a recipe for a romantic relationship. Sex is the cherry on top that solidifies the physical bond of that relationship, given you’ve also developed what’s needed for the emotional bond.

It’s a vicious cycle. A booty call can of course evolve into friends with benefits, and therefore can also become a romantic relationship. The cycle can be broken down in reverse, as ex-lovers can establish their once romantic relationship as booty call partners or friends with benefits. Their feelings can be rekindled through either of these sexual relationships and their romantic relationship could emerge once again. Needless to say: practice safe sex.

Former CSUF professor Phil Janowicz announces 2018 congressional bid for District 39 seat against Ed Royce

“It’s only fitting that I announce my campaign where I was initially inspired to run—right here at Cal State

Former CSUF president Milton A. Gordon honored at funeral service

Friends, family and colleagues gathered Tuesday morning to honor and say goodbye to the late Milton A. Gordon, who

Daily Titan and Tusk alumni reunite for Comm Week panel on news and digital media

CSUF Daily Titan and Titan Tusk Magazine alumni reunited at the Titan Student Union for the “Life After Titan