Titan softball off to slow start

In Sports, Spring Sports

The Cal State Fullerton softball team dropped the first three games of the Cathedral City Classic this past weekend. The Titans lost to No. 7 Washington 14-2 in five innings followed by a 1-0 loss to Fordham in a Friday doubleheader. Indiana went on to beat CSUF 5-2 Saturday evening.

In game one, the Titans jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the second; the Huskies scored six runs in the bottom half of that inning. The Huskies added another run in the third and seven in the fourth for the win. The Titans committed five errors and allowed seven unearned runs in the loss.

The second game of the night featured a pitcher’s duel between Katey Laban of the Titans and Chelsea Plimpton of Fordham. Fordham scored the lone run of the ballgame in the top of the seventh. CSUF stranded the tying run on third base to end the game.

The Titans struggled to score runs again Saturday, as Indiana’s Sara Olson limited the Titans to four hits in a complete-game outing. Junior Adriana Martinez had two hits for the Titans.

Sunday’s doubleheader brought a battle on the mound for senior Ari Cervantes, who gave up just two earned runs, just enough for Syracuse to escape with a 2-1 victory.

Later that afternoon, the Titans roared with a vengeance and toppled Long Island 13-4 in five innings. A seven-run first inning gave more than enough cushion for reliever Aly Fascetti to earn her first victory.

The losses dropped the Titans to 3-7 on the season.