Colleges Connect Through Carnival Games

Tents were pitched and games were played as a DJ spun loud music that consumed an upbeat crowd yesterday at the Carnival of Connections event.

The annual event is put on by the Health and Human Development Inter-Club Council. With over 400 students stopping by and partaking in activities, the event consisted of booths that promoted student associations from the College of Health and Human Development.

“The clubs on our council serve both students on campus, and we also do a lot of volunteer work with the community. We are funded by ASI,” said Krystal Santiago, chair of the HHD-ICC and a public administration major with a minor in human services. “We wanted to give back to the campus while promoting our clubs and showing students where their money is going.”

A table was set up inside a booth that provided hot dogs, popcorn and cotton candy to students who were roaming in and out of the tents and participating in activities. An enthusiastic crowd danced in front of a stage as an organization called Active Learning led the dance moves. One booth had a table covered in baskets full of goodies for the drawings taking place every 30 minutes.

“Many students are unaware of the resources our clubs provide. I think a carnival-themed event is a great platform to creatively do that, as opposed to simply handing out fliers,” said Jennifer Pham, a member of the Peer Health University Network (PHUN) and a health science major. “It is a good way for our associations to incorporate an interactive component among students.”

Each club that participated had some sort of carnival-themed game that connected students to different majors, other colleges and the community. The games were both fun and educational. PHUN was handing out booklets that included alcohol-free drink recipes and had a table that hosted “Pong-Tac-Toe,” similar to beer pong but with a tic-tac-toe angle.

The Substance Abuse Awareness and Prevention Student Association was having students sign a pledge against drinking and driving. The signed cards will be hung on a tree on campus.

The Kinesiology Student Association hosted an activity called “Minute to Win It” where students attached pedometers to their shoes and ran in place as fast as they could for 30 seconds. The person who took the most steps won a prize.

The Human Services Student Association put on a ring toss, and each target had the name of a population on it that represented and reflected all of the residents in the community they serve.

The carnival-themed event proved to be a hit as crowds of students were flowing in and out of the tents throughout the five-hour event.

Briana England, a member of the Kinesiology Student Association and a kinesiology major said, “Today’s event is a lot of fun, and a lot of students are getting involved.”

The HHD-ICC strives to strengthen school unity among the body within the College of Health and Human Development and throughout campus through their clubs. It is currently home to 12 student associations and honor societies.

For more information on the Health and Human Development Inter-Club Council, please visit Hhd.Fullerton.edu/Main/students/HHDICC.htm

Crime Log: Stalking, false fire alarm and speeding contest

Cal State Fullerton University Police responded to various crime calls during the month of March, ranging from speeding contests,

Multi-Level Marketing (MLM) is a terrible business model that can harm vulnerable individuals and communities that don’t know the