GPS trackers may keep bike thieves at bay in near future

Cal State Fullerton’s Police Department has submitted a proposal to attach global positioning system, or GPS, trackers on “bait bikes” put out by campus police to curb the prevalence of property theft on the CSUF campus.

Property theft is the number one criminal activity on campus and campus police are trying to sabotage potential thieves by planting bikes out on campus with GPS trackers on them, hoping they will bite when these bikes are put on bike racks all over campus.

This is not the first time campus police has done such an operation, but previous attempts had significant limitations.

Previous tracking systems employed by campus police came with severe limitations in regards to proximity. If thieves were to get out of range, then the tracking device would cease to function. It made previous operations limited in scope and effectiveness because of such a weakness with earlier devices.

“If someone were to put the bike in a van and drive to Los Angeles, it would go out of our range,” said John Brockie, lieutenant of Cal State Fullerton’s police force, in regards to the tracking system used in the years before.

The new system being proposed, however, utilizes a GPS method, which in theory should be able to track bikes at any distance. The GPS system would not rely on a signal put out from a structure on ground, but would rather bounce off and relay signals with a satellite, updating campus police on a bike’s position at all times.

Any student worried about potential financial costs to students was answered with a simple “No,” by Brockie.

“With a GPS system, the device talks to a satellite; there would be no range limitation. They could go to Las Vegas and we would still be able to track them,” said Brockie.

Despite these efforts and the efforts before utilizing GPS tracking were proposed, there has yet to be an occurrence where thieves have gone after these “bait bikes.”

“We’ve never had anyone take one. You just got to put the bait out there to catch the fish,” said Brockie.

CSUF students seem to agree the efforts put out by campus police to prevent further property theft on campus generally are a good thing.

“I guess it’s a good idea. It’ll make people more wary,” said Jeremy Harshman, an English major, expressing that once the usage of “bait bikes” by campus police are known to potential thieves, they would be much more hesitant at committing the crime.

Harshman has a roommate whose bike was stolen last year, he added. Since then, his roommate has had to buy a new bike, which as of writing, is still in his possession.

Consensus among most students was largely a positive one. Some were a bit hesitant of the idea, however.

“I think it can be beneficial, but I don’t know if the cost will be worth it,” said Dee Nelson, a political science major, wondering if the investment will pay off.

There are no “bait bikes” out on campus right now, as the usage of GPS requires an overhaul of the system since the tracking devices on bikes need to be replaced.

Currently, the proposal for the new system of tagging bikes is still in submission. All the equipment required has been identified and the campus police are simply waiting for approval, which should go through by the weekend, Brockie added.

Lecturer Eric Canin to return to CSUF following investigation into misconduct

Anthropology lecturer Eric Canin will return to teach at Cal State Fullerton this fall after Arbitrator Jan Stiglitz concluded

• Briand

A free service has launched last year that offers free global bike registration, scannable bike tags using your mobile phone and social media to fight bike theft. The secret weapon is the QR tags, which can be read by anybody with a smartphone. Scanning the tag immediately displays the status of the bike -stolen or safe. If stolen, the phone owner can contact the owner of the bike through the phone link. All bikes are geo-tagged, showing location. The tamper-resistant anti-theft tags offer an extra level of protection with unique ID numbers linked to the serial number of the bike and owner. http://www.bikerevolution.org

it’s free to register, list a stolen bike, view stolen bikes and send out stolen bike alerts. Pulse ID tags, 3 per set cost $14.95. Available at your nearest bike dealer.

• Global Security

Buyer’s Inquiry

GLOBAL SECURITY TRACKING WORLDWIDE OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE (WORLD)
    Global Security Tracking, Inc.(GST) is one of the world leading Gps international exporting business.
    We are a professional Gps tracker distribution center/hub, Our main market is Europe, Africa, Asia and American countries, hope we can establish business relations. providers of solutions for Telematics, Telemetry, GPS and Vehicle & Personal Location products and leading the way with the most exclusive device in the world hands down.

We design and produce our products in The U.S.A. Our hardware & software solutions allow customers to improve productivity by enabling the effective management of their vehicles, mobile workers, assets, goods and services. We also provide the best electronic solution for personal safety and homeland security.

We have a highly experienced R&D team with many years of RF wireless and GPS knowledge to customize winning products from concept to production within a short period of time. Global Security Tracking (GST) has the following close industrial partners in the development of new products: Intel, Free scale, Microchip, Wavecom, and MTK GPS chip-set. Approval
    All the products are CE approved for EU.
    Siemens MC55i GSM/GPRS module is commonly used in our products with worldwide telecoms approval.
    Quad Band version is FCC and PTCRB approved in US.
    CE and RoHS Certificates are available for all models.
    The all New Gotek8 with 12 days of tracking before recharging, depending how often you track. Also the Gotek8 has a built in 3-D motion sensor? The longest lasting battery and the newest gps tracking device on the Market today. Two tracking panel options Pay As You Go or A Monthly Plans.

Global Security Tracking Gotek8 A-GPS. Our new tracking product enables you to track your car / bike / child / pet / Covert Tracking / Fleet Tracking / Law enforcement and all business assets etc. in real time, indoors and outdoors and almost anywhere in the world by computer or cell phone and to an accuracy within 10 feet ( 4 meters). In short it enables you to see exactly where your device is and where it’s been.

Just a few of the Possible Safety Applications for Your GPS Personal Locater:

Child Safety
    School Age Children
    Daycare Safety
    After School Activities
    Boy Scouts & Girl Scouts
    Neighborhood Playtime
    Amusement Park Safety
    Children (and adults) with Autism
    Children (and adults) with Down Syndrome

Teen & Young Adult Safety
    Driving Safety
    Playing Sports away from home
    School Activities
    After School Activities
    Part-time job at night
    Amusement Park Safety
    Hanging out with friends

Adult Safety
    Working Late
    Working in remote locations
    Recreational activities in remote locations
    Riding ATVs / Motorcycles / Snowmobiles
    Hiking / Backpacking / Skiing / Snowshoeing
    Running / Jogging / Cycling
    Brain Trauma Victims
    Mentally Challenged

Pet Safety
    Locate missing pets
    Keep track of Hunting Dogs
    Keep track of pets when traveling

Worker Safety & Asset Protection
    Track employee locations when working alone
    One touch access to emergency assistance
    Asset Protection and Tracking
    Vehicles
    Heavy Machinery and Equipment
    Shipping Cargo
    Visitor Tracking and Monitoring for Large Facilities

Elderly Adult Safety
    Alzheimer’s
    Adults with Dementia
    Home Safety – (Personal Alarm)
    Assisted Living Safety
    Long Term Care Facilities
    Brain Trauma Victims
    Mentally Challenged
    Other…

Gotek8-Bread Crumbing:
    Via email, you can receive automatic location updates from your device. You set the schedule – minutes or hours – and receive emails with the exact whereabouts of your child. Because we lead such busy lives, this helps us remember to check on our most important asset. Up to 1-2 predetermined users can receive this alert.

Gotek8-Destination Alert:
    Do you want to be notified when your child arrives at school, soccer practice, or the mall? You can with this feature. Destination Alert allows the parent to define an area on a map, and receive notification by email or text when the child arrives. It’s easy and it gives you one more tool to keep your child safe!
    Safe Zone:
    Define a virtual boundary (safe zone) around your neighborhood, school or any where you choose. Receive an email or text alert when your Tracking Device is carried outside of that safe zone. You will continue to receive safe zone alerts by email every 5-seconds or 5-minutes for 1 hour, with updated locations. The safe zone can easily be changed or canceled in seconds from your cell phone or from our web site. Up to 1-2 predetermined users can receive this alert.
    Speed Alert:
    Set a speed limit for your Tracking device from your cell phone or computer. Receive a notification every time your device surpasses the defined speed. Up to 1-2 predetermined users can receive this alert. If the device is on an individual, you will know immediately that they are in a car. This feature is great for speeding teenagers!

Gotek8-SOS Button:
    If your child is in a dangerous or threatening situation, or has a medical emergency, they can press and hold the SOS button. The device will then send a “THE FULL CURRENT ADDRESS OF ITS LOCATION WITH-IN 3-5 SECONDS” Text or email to 1-2 trusted individuals that you have predetermined. The email will contain the street address and map link. A “ALERT” email containing their current or updated location will be sent to all users every 5 minutes for 1 hour or until the emergency is resolved.
    Locate via APP & Computer:
    Locate your child through our new I-Phone 4 application available for iPhone, BlackBerry, Droid, and any web enabled phone. Simply log on and see the latest location of your child…it’s that easy! The APP also allows you to set and manage alerts. Anywhere you receive email, through phone or computer; you can receive the alerts when triggered.
    Live Tracking via APP & Computer:
    You can actually watch the movement of your child on your web-enabled I-Phone 4 or computer. Every 5-30 seconds you will see the location of your child, giving you a live map of where they are, where they have been ….and where they just might be headed.
    Call unit address return:
    Call the device and you can communicate with your child. It’s just like having a cell phone on them, but much safer. The device doesn’t ring or vibrate…it just automatically connects! If you are concerned about their well-being, you can also call just to listen in without being heard. On the other hand, in an emergency your child can hold down the button on the device and will immediately call you!
    ·
    ? SMS and GPRS TCP/UDP Communication.
    ? Tracking on demand.
    ? Vehicle tracking from your cellphone.
    ? Tracking per time intervals.
    ? Remote hearing through calls (optional).
    ? Storage when there is no coverage.
    ? Movement sensor included for power saving.
    ? Cell Phone Tracking/sms
    ? Motion alert.
    ? Geofence configuration.
    ? Battery low charge alert.
    ? Overspeed alert.
    ? It supports GPRS/SMS communication.
    ? Standard tracking in real time through:unit PIN, location, speed, time, direction, alarm status.
    ? Automatic time reports, or through commands.
    ? Geofence protection.
    ? Call the unit it will then return a current address of the Gotek7 location as a text with 3-5 Seconds.
    ? Panic button/SOS Will send 2-3 separate email address and text with the current location of the Gotek7.
    ? Sleep mode for power saving.
    ? Remote configuration/Caller ID/ Unlimited History and Geofencing/Safety Zones in and out bond.
    ? On and Off,Gps, Safety Zone,Low Battery alert.
    ? SMS send and reception.
    ? GPRS/SMS time reports configuration.
    ? Unit disconnection alert. (with back up battery).
    ? Water Resistant IP57.
    ? High sensitivity GPS antenna.

• Harley

Hello, my company manufactures GPS tracking devices for bicycles. We have been using these successfully in the UK both personally and to catch bicycle thieves.

http://www.integratedtrackers.com/GPSTrack/