Local “Staycations” for Spring Break

Spring break is a chance to get away from midterms and essays that have caused late nights and frayed nerves, and living in Southern California has its advantages when it comes to a vacation. That’s why “staycations” are the way to go for some students.

I am just going to relax,” said Sana Rasheed a psychology major “I dont really party, just going to try to keep my mind off school and hang out with some friends.”

There are many fun, beautiful and exciting places in Southern California that can offer a getaway from the daily grind of school.  For escaping the worries of school, many look to nature as a way to calm a troubled mind.

San Clemente is known for its beautiful popular beaches, but none more famous than Trestles Beach, according to DayTrippen.com. Trestles Beach is one of the most iconic surfer’s paradises not only in California, but the entire world.

“It’s one of the best places I have ever surfed,” said Nathan Freeman, an radio-TV-film major. “The waves are really the best, and it’s a pretty big beach actually so the crowd gets pretty spread out.”

Trestles Beach is home to the only professional surfing contest held in mainland America. Surfers such as Kelly Slater and Mick Fanning frequently visit this spot for its peaceful setting and plentiful waves.

The desert can offer just as much tranquility. Joshua Tree National Park is the perfect place to take a day off and enjoy nature, according to the National Park Service website. This beautiful park just outside Palm Springs offers numerous outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, camping and sightseeing.

“It’s our busiest time of year really,” said Pam Pripp, a representative of Joshua Tree. “A lot of people come in for a day or sometimes longer to hike, rock climb or do some night watching.”

Joshua Tree has over 35 miles of hiking and biking trails through unique pinyon and juniper forests. There are also over 350 different types of plants within the park making up its diverse scenery.

An hour drive from Cal State Fullerton to Joshua Tree National Park would be a wise decision for a student looking to explore the open desert over spring break.

Being in college is all about the night life, and San Diego offers plenty of spring break opportunities for students looking to get away. According to SanDiego.org, San Diego’s Gaslamp District is perhaps one of the best spring break locations in California.

Gaslamp.org proudly boasts that Americans from all over the country flock to San Diego’s Gaslamp District to enjoy some time in the sun. Dick’s Last Resort Bar and Restaurant is well known for its live music offered every week.

“All of San Diego is busy during spring break, but we are all about creating great memories here at Dick’s Last Resort,” said Perri Spiller, a hostess. “We have live music here Wednesday through Saturday, but it’s all cover bands.”

Serving cold drinks and a wide variety of food, Dick’s Last Resort is open until 2 a.m., satisfying those in search of a good time late at night.

These are just a few spots that may help a weary student relax over spring break. The problem is deciding which one to do first.