False Alarm Sounds in Dan Black Hall

In Campus News, Local News, News

A fire alarm went off in the chemistry lab early Monday morning at Cal State Fullerton, prompting the Fullerton Fire Department and the Anaheim Haz Mat unit to investigate the matter.

The alarm went off in Dan Black Hall at around 6:49 a.m., which prompted 20 firefighters to arrive on the scene. Due to the lab containing radioactive materials, the immediate area was evacuated, said Fullerton Fire Division Chief Tom Schultz to the Orange County Register.

By 8:40 a.m., it was a concluded that it was a false alarm.

“The activation was near a room that contained potentially hazardous material,” said Lt. Brockie of the University Police. “We followed our protocol for DBH (Dan Black Hall), which summoned the number of fire trucks you saw this morning. Coordinating with Fullerton Fire, we were able to determine the alarm activation was a false alarm.”

Once the Fullerton Fire Department was at the scene, they were able to locate the cause of the false alarm.

“It was a malfunctioning smoke detector. The alarm was reset and the property was returned to CSUF,” said Julie Kunze, Fullerton fire marshal. “Radioactive cautionary measures were taken.”

For this particular emergency, certain protocols had to be taken.

“The protocol from the police is that they respond to all calls and then they call the fire department and the fire department makes a judgment call,” said Colleen Wilkins of CSUF’s Environmental Health and Safety Office.

When the Anaheim Haz Mat unit arrived, the unit used the false alarm as a training opportunity.

“They turned it into a practice session, which is a good thing,” Wilkins said.

In a worst-case scenario, if it wasn’t a false alarm, Wilkins stated there would be plenty of warnings to get students, faculty and staff evacuated.

“There are a lot of smoke detectors that would alert people of a problem,” Wilkins said.

How to get your snow during this Californian winter break

Here in Southern California, winter weather mostly consists of gloomy clouds and the occasional rain shower, but with a

Maricsa Segundo holds her daughter, Caroline, at the beach

CSUF student comes out of postpartum depression stronger

Maricsa Secundo, a MAC makeup artist and biology major at Cal State Fullerton, was thrilled to finally find out

piles of trash in the Republic Services facility in Anaheim.

The journey of trash after you throw it away at CSUF

Discarded seat cushions, chemical and detergent bottles, and bags of garbage tower over a bulldozer as it sweeps piles