Review: Paul McCartney Really is Dead

In Arts & Entertainment, Film & TV

Conspiracy theories can be quite interesting and at times could drive a person mad. Paul McCartney Really is Dead is hands down a compelling production that has Beatles fans lost in thought and second-guessing the controversial subject.

The film was released in September of 2010, so it is fairly new but has created buzz waves as more have discovered it with a little help from Netflix.

No matter whether you’re a fan, an avid fan or just familiar with the Beatles and their acclaimed fame that brought us terms like “Beatlemania,” this is a must-watch documentary that provides in-depth insight into the Beatles world with subliminal messages in lyrics and album covers that ultimately make you wonder whether or not it is all true.

According to the documentary, all of the information that is presented is based on two mini-cassette audio tapes dated Dec. 30, 1999, and labeled The Last Testament of George Harrison. The tapes were sent to the Hollywood office of Highway 61 Entertainment from London with no return address in the summer of 2005.

The film takes you through myriad news clips weaved into a storyline told by a voice mimicking the voice eerily similar to Harrison’s that appeared in the tapes. Harrison walks the audience through the shocking story of lead singer Paul McCartney having died in a car crash in November of 1966 and replaced with a double.

Director and creator Joel Gilbert provides meticulous research throughout the film, leaving you impressed with the amount of clues present that have gone unnoticed for decades.

The story goes as follows for those interested by the mere idea of Paul McCartney being a fake. After Paul’s alleged fatal car accident, the remaining Beatles members are introduced to a British Intelligence, MI5, officer named Maxwell, who forces the Beatles to cover up McCartney’s death to prevent potential mass suicides of Beatles fans.

They agree and have a Paul McCartney look-a-like contest through American Band Stand. The judges are clueless as to what will happen to the winner and after deliberation a young man by the name of William Campbell is chosen as the winner to say the least, and off to become the new Paul McCartney after undergoing major advanced plastic surgery.

From one day to the next, simpleton William Campbell is transformed into McCartney but with guilt building up, the remaining Beatles try to signal fans with clues on album covers and in songs.

Feeling the guilt more than anyone was Lennon, who took every opportunity he could to hint to fans of Paul’s fatal accident and replacement with fake Paul, “Faul.” Clues to McCartney’s death are exposed through Harrison’s testament, which include hundreds of symbolic interpretations of album cover imagery, lyrics and subliminal messages when songs are played backward.

In “Revolution 9,” when played backward you can hear the message, “Turn me on dead man.” In the last section of the song “Strawberry Fields Forever,” Lennon says, “I buried Paul.” The song “Eleanor Rigby” is said to describe the secret funeral the Beatles had for Paul in a small cemetery in Blackpool, England. Father McKenzie was planned originally to be Father McCartney because Paul’s father was the priest for the burial. Ringo Starr and George Harrison had Lennon change the name, believing it was a dead giveaway that MI5 agents would have them killed for.

In the documentary, “George Harrison” goes through every album cover after the fatal accident, pointing out every message Lennon put. The first mentioned is Rubber Soul, which Harrison explains was originally supposed to be titled Rubber Paul to symbolize the death of the real Paul and the rubber soul of the impostor Paul and all the plastic surgery he had gotten. Again, the others thought it was too risky and it was changed to Rubber Soul and the album picture is taken from the ground level of Paul’s grave, looking up at the members. The picture is also distorted so fans cannot notice the difference in Paul’s appearance from plastic surgery.

Another famous album cover, Abbey Road, is also dissected and interpreted as a funeral procession: “John, dressed in pure white symbolizes the preacher or heavenly body. Ringo, dressed in full black symbolizes the mourner. George, in scruffy denim jeans and shirt symbolizes the gravedigger and Paul, dressed in a shabby, out-dated suit and barefoot symbolizes the corpse.” The documentary goes as far as to say that Lennon’s assassination in 1980 was arranged by MI5 after he threatened to finally expose “Paul McCartney” as an impostor.

The “Paul is Dead” mystery exploded worldwide in 1969 but was considered a hoax. Highway 61 Entertainment has taken the mysterious voice that reveals a secret history of the Beatles with incredible investigation into the conspiracy chronicling McCartney’s accident, the cover up, hundreds of clues, and MI5.

Paul McCartney Really is Dead is only one of many projects that have dug into the eerie theory. This documentary holds so much evidence and explanation with a conviction that will either have one laugh it off as a ridiculous hoax or actually be convinced that Paul McCartney really is dead.

13 commentsOn Review: Paul McCartney Really is Dead

• finding a paul mc cartney look alike would be hard enough,but finding a voice with that much talent would be imposible.

• There was an audio study done of the Paul “voices,” in a major weekly in the late ’60’s and the expert concluded that the voice of “Yesterday” was not the same voice as on Sgt Pepper, et al. The problem w/ all this is that Revolver was released in the late summer of 1966. If Paul died in November, 1966, a lot of the “clue” songs were already recorded and released.

• Paperback Wtriter

LOL….well with what ‘Paul’ was putting out in the late 70’s and all of the 80’s I could almost believe that it was not the real Mr. McCartney. There are some woeful records in that period, really bad!

• What is less well known is that the second Paul was replaced by a third Paul just before the Flaming Pie album came out in 1997 on the 30th anniversary of Sgt. Pepper. The album is full of clues most especially that the new Paul has six toes on his left foot as you can see in one of the photos from the Flaming Pie booklet.

First of all FLAMING PIE is an anagram for IN FLIP GAME, an indication that Paul is playing a game with the public by having a substitute. It’s also an anagram for PILING FAME, which his double is now doing by accepting the Queen’s knighthood, something the author of the song Her Majesty would never do.

Look closely at the photo on the cover of the Flaming Pie CD. The person there bears a resemblance to Paul but is actually thinner, younger and has less hair. The picture is intentionally blurred to prevent close scrutiny.

The first photo inside the booklet is of the “new” Paul forming a shrine to the old Paul, reminiscent of the Sgt. Pepper album cover which was an homage to the “death” of the old Beatles with the original Paul and the “birth” of the new Beatles with the second Paul. Note that the shape of the rocks is like a large foot and that there are six stones representing the six toes on his left foot which is hidden in the photo. Paul 3 is planting a flower in honor of Paul 1 and 2. This flower theme is carried throughout the booklet. Note that there are three flowers framing the photo, one for each Paul.

The next photo in the booklet is the infamous six-toed Paul, replacement for the Paul we knew from the late Beatles and Wings days. Notice how the door is too small for him to walk through without ducking, indicating that the “new’ Paul is actually taller than the old Paul. Notice also the three flowers.

The photo on the next page is of Paul 3 with Jeff Lynne. Notice Paul’s hand. He’s showing four fingers on his left hand which covers up all but two fingers of his right hand. Four plus two equals six, another obvious reference to his six toes. There are only two flowers framing this photo but there is another flower on the window sill in front of Jeff Lynne for a total again of three flowers.

Next comes a picture of Paul’s son James, then a picture of Paul with Steve Miller. There are important clues here in the fact that this Paul is not as tall and all his fingers are showing. Plus there are only two flowers on this photo. This is an indication that this is actually an older photo of Paul 2 taken earlier.

The next photo is one of Ringo who is wearing three pins on his lapel, one for each Paul, again there are three flowers.

In the final series of Paul photos, we find four pictures of Paul, each with five flowers. This is an obvious joke that there may someday be a Paul 4 or Paul 5. Taken clockwise from the upper right the photos represent the different Pauls. One- (upper right) is the Paul who is deceased, Two- (lower right) is Paul 2 posing as if waking up from a deep sleep, a metaphor for rebirth, Three- (lower left) we see the new Paul 3 presenting himself to the world for the first time, Four (upper left) this pose is Paul in a gesture indicating “what’s next?” a reference to the future (and possibly more Pauls).

The last page of the booklet is a photo of Linda with three flowers around the photo and the back shows the old Paul 2 walking away to his retirement leaving room for his new replacement indicated by the one flower.

The lyrics of the songs on Flaming Pie also have numerous clues to prove that the second Paul who replaced the first Paul in 1966 has now been replaced by a third Paul. First, there are 14 songs. Twice 14, one for the outgoing Paul and one for the incoming Paul equals 28. It’s been exactly 28 years since 1969 when the Abbey Road album revealed the clue to the first replacement with the infamous 29 IF tag on the Volkswagon “Beetle.” Without the need to have exactly 14 songs, why would Paul include songs like Used to Be Bad and Really Love You on this CD?

The Song We Were Singing
    The first clue here is that Paul says “the song WE were singing,” not I was singing, indicating there are two of them, probably someone he knew from the 60s when they used to sit around and smoke a pipe together. Maybe they even plotted to make this switch way back then. It’s no coincidence that Paul sings the line “We always come back to the songs we were singing” SIX times, an obvious reference to his six-toed replacement.

The World Tonight
    Here Paul slyly introduces us to his replacement, someone whom he saw surrounded by a circle of people who apparently thought he was Paul. This is where Paul got the idea that this fellow could easily replace him. He was playing music and was praying that someday he could be as successful as Paul. Then Paul gives the secret away in the second line. He sees his double and makes his decision to recruit him as his replacement, “I don’t care what you want to be. I go back so far I’m in front of me. It doesn’t matter what they say. They’re giving the GAME away.” Now Paul can see the future with himself peacefully out of the limelight at last while his replacement gets surrounded by the paparazzi. Despite his replacement’s protests he can never go back to just being who he was, he has to be Paul with all the good and bad that goes with it.

If You Wanna
    Paul continues to give the game away here where he says that his replacement will be riding in the front of the Cadillac where he can be seen and “we” Paul and Linda, will be hiding in the back. Paul assures his replacement that he’ll make all the “arrangements” and pay for the whole trip, the substitution, including perhaps any necessary plastic surgery to make them identical as well as the transfer of clothing, musical instruments, etc. This explains why Paul got rid of his entire band from his previous albums and only used close friends on this release who would help perpetrate the hoax.

Somedays
    This is the first song from the “new” Paul’s point of view. He describes his feelings of disbelief in his new role. He looks into his own eyes and can’t believe they’re his. Then he confesses to not knowing many details about the second Paul’s life, little things like where a certain picture was bought or how much it costs. Although he has accepted his role as Paul’s replacement he sometimes mourns the loss of his old life that he can never go back to. He even cries and wonders why he’s here.

Young Boy
    Here we see the answer to the doubts revealed in the previous song. The “young boy”, Paul’s replacement, is the “new kid” and there’s no one who can help him fulfill his obligation of his duties as the new Paul. He has to find it for himself and it may take awhile but he has to be strong and learn to celebrate his new identity. He doesn’t need a helping hand (a reference to his feet?), he understands what he wants. He must give up his independence and accept his role and he’ll soon learn to love it. Who wouldn’t?

Calico Skies
    This is the SIXTH song and the turning point for the new Paul. We can see that the first three songs are the old Paul paving the way for the new Paul who then expresses himself in the next three songs, making a total of six, another toe reference. It’s also no coincidence that the photo just before the second three songs is the infamous six-toed Paul picture. Now Paul 3 has fully accepted his role and rejoices in it. He professes his love for Paul 2 and vows allegiance “never failing to fight at your side” to keep the “innermost secrets” they hide. He refers to himself as a “crazy soldier” (maybe he’s a veteran) and promises to hold on to the Paul identity for the rest of his life.

Flaming Pie
    Following the turning point of the sixth song, we now naturally have the album title song. Paul 3 is giddy with the power he now wields as the inheritor of the Paul mantle. He may even have smoked that pipe again because he’s ranting nonsense. Even in the midst of his raving though, he reveals a clue. He sings, “When I’m with you, you could do with a vacation,” a reference to Paul 2 retiring when Paul 3 takes over. He doesn’t know whether to “laugh or cry” he’s so happy but he needs to do a bit more homework because he refers to himself as “the man on the flaming pie” and everyone knows that was John Lennon, not Paul McCartney.

Heaven On a Sunday
    Here Paul 3 really shows his potential as Paul 2’s replacement. This song is reminiscent of the Paul 2 songs we all know and love. He refers to his new life as a dream he’s going through and he’s at peace, feeling restful and playing the songs he has been learning from Paul 2. Now he’s enjoying his role and wouldn’t have it any other way. If he only has one role to play, this is the one he’d choose.

Used to Be Bad
    Since he’s new at this music scene and is replacing the most successful living singer/songwriter of all time, Paul 3 recruits a little help from an old friend of Paul 2, Steve Miller. They jam and Paul 3 tries his hand at lyrics with some very disappointing results. He reveals that he used to be bad but now that he’s the new Paul, he doesn’t have to be bad any more. He says he was not good looking, hence the plastic surgery to make him look more like Paul. He also sings about having only one life to life while ironically, living his second one.

Souvenir
    After doing songs like Flaming Pie and Used to Bad with only Heaven On a Sunday sounding like the previous Paul, Paul 2 figured that Paul 3 needed some help so here, he comes back to reassure Paul 3 that he will be available to him whenever he needs help as he does now. Paul 2 tells Paul 3 he’ll be there for him. He knows that he can’t do it for him, that “wouldn’t be right.” Paul 3 must learn to overcome his fear and “every little thing will come right in the end.”

Little Willow
    Paul 2 also contributes Little Willow, a beautiful love ballad like the ones that made him famous in another attempt to show Paul 3 how it’s done. This is a really lovely song about making the most of the difficulties that life sometimes sends our way.

Really Love You
    Unfortunately Paul 3 returns on the next track with another jam, this time with another old friend of Paul 2, Ringo Starr himself. Ringo apparently agreed to help perpetrate the hoax in exchange for song writing credit. Here Paul 3 tries to Get Back with a Beatle-like groove in the repetitious style of the immortal Love Me Do but doesn’t pull it off even with Ringo drumming.

Beautiful Night
    This is Paul 2’s last song. He goes out with George Martin, his old Beatle producer, helping him with the string arrangement. He sings of castles in the sky and how he is left looking back on his career and wondering about how amazing it all was. Now he’s finished with the limelight and is perfectly satisfied to retire with Linda on his little island, just fishing and watching the clouds go by. Farewell Paul, you’ve earned your rest. Thanks for all the great music.

Great Day
    This is just an old song that was stuck on the end to make a total of 14 songs so the numbers would work out right, 14 times 2 equals 28, the number of years since Paul 2 replaced Paul 1.

It came to mind after I discovered all these clues that there must be a reason Paul’s last CD, Off the Ground, had a cover picture of nothing but toes. I went back and examined the cover of Off the Ground carefully and there are no six toed feet in that photo! So here we have the clear transition from Paul 2 with five toes and Paul 3 with six. It has also been reported that if you play Flaming Pie backwards you’ll find the message, “Linda Eastman Save the Animals.” This is obviously a connection between Paul’s six toes and the three toed sloth that is now extinct.

As we say goodbye to the Paul we have known and loved since 1966 we hope the new Paul can live up to the standards set by Paul 1 and Paul 2. Those are large shoes to fill, especially for a guy with six toes.

• Peter - Battle Creek, MI

What we DO know beyond a doubt is the following:

1. Paul took a short “leave of absence” in early August 1961, when he traveled to Honolulu, Hawaii, BY HIMSELF.

2. A now-deceased records clerk at the Kapi?olani Medical Center saw someone of Paul’s description inserting a birth record into the stack of files marked “Weekly Reports for Processing.”

3. We can now say with some certainty that Barack Obama was indeed the bastard child of Paul McCartney and Stanley Ann Dunham. The two met in late 1960 at the Star Club in Hamburg, Germany.

And the rest, as they say, is “history.” Rock on.

• Lynnette "Cicky" Johansson

I heard about the “dead Paul theory” before. I really don’t think his dead.

• No doubt Jane Asher, Paul’s girlfriend from 1963 into 1968, was either ignorant to the switcheroo or was easily persuaded to sleep with another man.

I find the credulity in this piece a little disturbing. For example, the sentence: “Director and creator Joel Gilbert provides meticulous research throughout the film, leaving you impressed with the amount of clues present that have gone unnoticed for decades.”

“Meticulous research” includes accuracy in factual information uncovered, not simply copious amounts of facts thrown together in a heap of innuendo.

• I don’t know why people actually buy into this. I’m researching to find out what started the hoax and why it’s believed, because I’m seeing so many “Paul is dead” stuff everywhere.
    Just because the band threw in some “Paul is dead” subliminal messages into their songs, doesn’t mean it was necessarily true. They could have just been having fun, hell, they could have been stoned and thought it would have been funny.
    It’s all bogus, anyone could dissect some lyrics, then point out ones that could be a reference to it. Are they really? Doubtful. Some of them looked REALLY obscure to me.

• I grew up in the 50s and 60s and saw the advent of the Beatles in the U.S. in 1964. I believe it is highly possible that Paul either went into seclusion or died.

One thing that stands out with certainty to me is that he was replaced in the Beatles, but I want to watch a movie about his alleged death that will report the fact that all four Beatles were replaced. This can be searched out by photo and voice comparisons. There are message boards where people can hammer this out together.

I lost interest in this group when they came out with their first Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band album. I said they looked and sounded different, had changed to the wrong message, and I didn’t care for the changes. Now I’m finding out it was more than I even realized at the time.

• Please watch this movie and decide for yourself what is real and what is belief. we are pounded with “information” since are brains are tiny every where you are there is a lie we are living.

• This is hogwash!! This film repeatedly identifies the alleged death happening in NOVEMBER, 1966. Then, it recounts “clues” on album covers, including “Rubber Soul.” The discussion of clues on “Rubber Soul” is fairly detailed. But “RUBBER SOUL” CAME OUT IN 1965!!! The chronology of events set out in this film is historically impossible. “Rubber Soul” references in this film are, um, “fatal” to its credibility. Clues of Paul’s death could not possibly have been placed on an album cover that was issued a frickin’ year before he allegedly died. So hearing “George” describe the clues on “Rubber Soul” does NOTHING but reveal this film is a piece of s&#t.

Whoever created this film insults the intelligence of true Beatles fans.

• I knew from the first few seconds that this was going to be bad. I am a Brit living in the USA. When a British person gives a date they say “the first of December” or “the fifth of January”. They do not say “one December” or “five January” like Americans do. The narrator is quoting from the spoken word of Harrison on the tapes and yet uses the American format for every date. Clearly the whole thing was written by an American trying to sound like a Brit. The whole thing is total rubbish.

• sane-person. you are an idiot, no american says five january or one december. we say the first of december the fifth of january, or december first january fifth.