Students Fight Against Human Trafficking

In Local News, News, World News

Students from Orange County and Los Angeles will unite and collaborate with My Refuge House (MRH) to help fight against human trafficking by hosting “Changed Not Chained,” a benefit concert at Hope University May 28.

The group’s mission is to raise anti-human trafficking awareness and to help fundraise for the nonprofit organization MRH’s cause.

MRH’s goal is to help change the devastating crime of human trafficking around the world, primarily in the Philippines, which ranked fourth among nine nations with 60,000 to 100,000 children involved in prostitution and sex slavery. There are an estimated 27 million people enslaved in the world today, more than the population of 18 states and more than the slaves during the entire trans-Atlantic Africa slave trade.

MRH along with the Changed Not Chained event team will host their first benefit concert. Taking part in raising awareness is a renowned lineup of talented performers, including American Idol contestants such as Tim Urban and Andrew Garcia. The concert will also be hosted by Roger Lundblade, a top warm-up comedian in Hollywood and “go to guy” for producers for many of the longest-running, highest-rated sitcoms today. Other performers will include Christina Falub and the Surreal Dance Crew.

The Changed Not Chained team is a collaborative student group fighting against a tragic event that occurs daily in all parts of the world. Human trafficking, also known as sex slavery, has been and continues to be a tragedy that primarily affects the lives of women and children. Women of all ages and children as young as 3 years old are robbed of their futures, forced to engage in unthinkable acts. Sex slavery is a common occurrence here in the United States but is most common in underdeveloped areas.

All the proceeds from the event will be donated toward MRH’s endeavors and most of all to raise awareness about the unfortunate situation.

Through the concert, CNC hopes to help change the lives of the victims of human trafficking. Using the knowledge they have been given, their talents and passion, members and volunteers help to spread the word and start a change that will give helpless victims the freedom they never had the chance to have.

Cal State Fullerton students are able to help take a stand against human trafficking by attending the event or making a donation. Donations will help with the building and maintenance for the restoration house in Cebu, Philippines, which houses victims of human trafficking in the area.

Presale tickets are $8 and will be sold until May 21. General admission is $10 and $20 will get you a VIP ticket to the concert, which includes early access, a meet and greet with the artists, a front-row seat, food and more. CNC will accommodate ticket prices if students can’t afford to bring guests. To purchase tickets, students can email [email protected].