‘Jackass’ star Ryan Dunn dies in car crash

In News

By Jeremy Roebuck and Peter Mucha

The Philadelphia Inquirer

(MCT)

PHILADELPHIA _ “Jackass” star Ryan Dunn, known for his gross-out, daredevil stunts on the MTV reality show, was killed in a car crash in Chester County, Pa., early Monday, police said.

Dunn, 34, of West Chester, Pa., was driving his Porsche 911 GT3 along Route 322 near the intersection with Pottstown Pike just after 2:30 a.m. when it veered off the road, careening into a wooded area. The vehicle burst into flames, severely burning both Dunn and his passenger, according to a statement issued by officers.

Investigators were able to identify Dunn through his tattoos and hair, but so far the identity of the second person has not been determined, police said. Autopsies are scheduled for later Monday.

It remains unclear whether alcohol played a role in the wreck. Dunn appears to have posted a photo of himself drinking with friends on his Twitter account less than two hours before the collision.

“Preliminary investigation revealed that speed may have been a contributing factor to the accident,” the police statement said.

Dunn, 34, moved to West Chester as a teen, and was part of the crazy-stunt crew on MTV’s “Jackass” series from 2000 to 2002, then in various “Jackass” films.

In the first one _ “Jackass: The Movie” _ Dunn performed a memorable stunt involving a toy car, a condom, his rectum, and a trip to a doctor’s office involving x-rays.

“Jackass” was created when Johnny Knoxville joined forces with Bam Magera, a pro skateboarder from West Chester, who had a group of stuntsters, including Dunn, called the CKY Crew _ for “Camp Kill Yourself.”

Dunn also played himself in other reality shows, including “Viva La Bam,” “Homewrecker” and “Commando VIP,” according to imdb.com.

___

(c) 2011, The Philadelphia Inquirer.

Visit Philadelphia Online, the Inquirer’s World Wide Web site, at http://www.philly.com/.

Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.