PRSSA celebrates Ethics Month

In honor of Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) Ethics Month, the father organization of the Cal Sate Fullerton PRSSA student chapter raised ethical awareness on campus with its “Hands4ethics” event.

PRSSA posted on the Titan Walk Sept. 7 and 8, asking students to “pledge to be ethical,” said Andrea Carpena, the professional development director of PRSSA.

The campaign on campus was to promote the importance of ethics to the general student population in the form of an event.

“We had them write ‘Hands4ethics’ on their hands, then we would take pictures of them, then upload them to our Facebook and Twitter (accounts).”

“People (are) not afraid to share this with the (social) network,” said Emma Osterkamp, PRSSA president. “The overall goal was to not only create awareness, but to also have individuals actively and openly declare their own personal commitment of ethical behavior by using the two most commonly used forms of social media.”

The group also had students sign their “Hands4ethics” banner, pledging to be ethical on the Titan Walk. Figures in the media such as Arnold Schwarzenegger, the city of Bell, the owner of the Dodgers and Anthony Weiner were represented on the board as “unethical” people.

The “Hands4ethics” banner was signed by 63 students, there were 81 individuals in photos posted on Facebook, 54 total posts via Twitter, 58 individuals accounted for in photos posted via Twitter and 11 re-tweets.

“Our goal was to spread awareness about ethics,” said Katie Stolting, PRSSA vice president and third-year public relations major. “We put a lot of work into the event.”

“We didn’t try to target just communications students; we targeted pretty much anybody that walked down the Titan Walk,” Carpena said. “I think people took it well.”

The Hands4Ethics event was not only conducted to raise awareness about ethics, but to support the ethics grant that PRSSA applied for from the national PRSA organization. The CSUF chapter won the grant last year and hopes to stay consistent and do the same this year.

“The efforts for this campaign were to make people aware about the importance of ethics; ethics is the most important thing,” said Osterkamp. “We want to reiterate that to our members.”

Not only did the student organization want to integrate ethics in students’ everyday lives for two days, but they also want to continue the practice throughout the year.

This year-long effort of raising awareness and helping the campus community grasp the importance of ethics will hopefully win PRSSA the intended ethics grant this year.

This is a photo of CSUF alumnae who were invited by the College of the Arts to participate in a panel called, "Women Alumni in the Arts: Titans Reaching Higher."

College of the Arts host alumnae panel to discuss journeys in the arts industry

Cal State Fullerton’s College of the Arts celebrated Women’s History Month by inviting six female alumnae to speak with

Former FBI Director Robert Mueller briefing President Barack Obama about the Boston Bombing

Mueller report finds no evidence of Trump conspiring with Russia

The investigation of President Donald Trump and his campaign led by Robert S. Mueller III was released Sunday. The report

Editorial: From Michelle Obama to Malala Yousafzai, women deserve to be recognized

As a nod to Women’s History Month, it is important to have this special women’s issue to remind everyone