Yes our nation changed for the better since Sept. 11, 2001

In Columns, Opinion

Our nation has been through a lot since 9/11: 10 years of war, two presidential elections and two economic crises. But despite it all, there has been progress. Since 9/11, public awareness of terrorism has risen, security has increased, safer building codes have been established, and Americans have united toward one goal. There have been no sizable, successful attacks on the U.S. since that tragic morning and that has been because of our constant vigilance and progressive movements toward bettering this nation.

The Department of Homeland Security’s nation-wide campaign, “If you see something, say something,” aimed at raising public awareness toward suspicious behavior, has proven to be beneficial through its uses in transit systems, federal buildings and entertainment arenas. Now that America is no longer naïve to think we are indestructible, we’ve opened our eyes to the real dangers that can occur. We’re no longer on the defensive but on the offensive, combating terrorism and being aware of our surroundings.

The twin towers crumbling brought back harsh realizations of our buildings’ flaws. In the wake of 9/11, the International Code Council approved major building and fire codes for future buildings—especially tall structures.
The Safer Buildings Are Goal of New Code Changes Based on Recommendations from NIST World Trade Center Investigation press release stated, “The new codes address areas such as: increasing structural resistance to building collapse from fire and other incidents; requiring a third exit stairway for tall buildings; increasing the width of all stairways by 50 percent in new high-rises; and strengthening criteria for the bonding.”

The new building codes also include fireproofing and an emergency responder radio communication throughout buildings.

These improvements are good, but not because “just in case” it happens again. It is proof that our nation is ensuring the safety of its people.

Over the past decade, nothing has been more evident than the large strides this nation has taken in security measures, ranging from new laws being enacted to creating new administrations.
The Transportation Security Administration is one of the new safety measures approved in response to the attacks.

It has since improved in-flight security (better protecting the flight deck against an act of criminal violence or air privacy), airport screening (100 percent of passengers flying to, from and within the U.S. are being diligently screened) and technology (through Advanced Imaging Technology and Automated Target Recognition, metallic and non-metallic threats can be detected).

Among the laws that have been passed, the most commonly debated is the Patriot Act, reducing government restrictions to install wires taps and search emails and telephone calls, all in the name of catching possible terrorists.
Privacy violations pale in comparison to the security of our nation and to life itself. There are people out there who wish us harm.

If in the process of catching those people we lose a bit of our privacy, then so be it. Our nation is better equipped to defend against an attack. The attacks of 9/11 were tragic, but it helped us grow stronger.

One commentOn Yes our nation changed for the better since Sept. 11, 2001

• Tisk, tisk, tisk, Maribel, I am considering coming over to the Daily Titan to administer some wake-up slaps. You really need it. I am astounded you can write such balderdash and have it printed to boot! Your first line is true but all of the rest of your piece reeks of feel-good liberalism that even my ultra left-wing pooch nearly fainted and had to shake its head in disbelief at your misguided and befuddled attempt to bamboozle the student body of this already overwhelmingly liberal institution. Is it really necessary to dumb down the students even more, or do you see the Daily Titan as a convenient medium to spout your socialist, totalitarian agenda? Your statements are so bone-chillingly Anti-American that it makes me wonder why you are even here.

The department of homeland security was named after “Heimland Sicherheit,” the Gestapo and the Security Service of Nazi Germany, according to a World War II veteran who saw the same thing in Germany when he was a young soldier and is now seeing the same paranoia, tightening of security and erosion of our freedoms we have been experiencing the last ten years in the US. And the same old trick that Hitler used to watch and spy on the German people was used in the US to make the people fear government and convert this country into a virtual prison: terrorism.

Your approval of Operation TIPS (If you see something, say something = Terrorism Information and Prevention System) which was a program designed to encourage citizens to spy on their neighbors and co-workers is lamentable and I wonder if you even know what you are advocating. Fortunately for us ordinary souls that aspect of the Homeland Security Bill was nixed thanks to people more awake than you protesting against such draconian and communistic means of acquiring information from and about others.

The actions by the TSA are nothing more than a gross invasion of a person’s privacy and the notion that Americans are the terrorists is completely ridiculous. Unless of course you know something I don’t and it really was the neigbors and their friends who wielded box cutters and flew planes into the World Trade Center towers and the Pentagon. Ugh, Americans are still naive, Maribel, you are living proof! Being on “the offensive” destroying countries in the middle east is not my idea of combating terrorism.

And exactly what, pray tell, are those “harsh realizations of our buildings flaws” that were brought back to you, Maribel? What buildings in the US did you visit that gave you an irrational fear for your life? Or are you perhaps reminiscing about the buildings you left behind when you crossed the border? The twin towers did not crumble, toots, they exploded outward and upward. There was nothing flawed in those buildings, they were relatively new, having only been completed in 1968 and 1971 respectively with Building 7 even younger than that… That building was not even hit by anything, how did that “crumble” all of a sudden?
    Nothing in your paragraph about codes is applicable since there is no strength in the world that can resist what happened on Sept 11, 2001. Your entire obnoxious paragraph about building and fire codes is an obsequious fawning appeal to authority and a slap in the face to all civil and structural engineers in the United States! You should apologize, me thinks. The rest of your babble is just as airheaded: Praise for the patriot act? You are deluding yourself and expect the rest of the students to respect you? The USA PATRIOT Act is next to the Homeland Security bill the most draconian theft of our liberties ever dared by the government and was thwarted repeatedly during earlier attempts to push it through, the last time in 1996 when a watered down version of it passed the House as S.735 aka the Anti-terrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act of 1996 in response to another false flag operation known as the Oklahoma City bombing. But nothing works better than a full scale “terrorist attack” to get the required response to this “Problem-Reaction-Solution” scenario, does it? Please, do look it up because there is not enough room to go into it here.

At the end of your diatribe you posit: “If in the process of catching those people we lose a bit of our privacy, then so be it.” Oh – My – God! You are so horribly naive… Let me answer and close with a Founding Fathers’ wisdom:
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. — Benjamin Franklin