CSUF listed in Princeton Review’s best business schools

Photo by William Camargo
Cal State Fullerton’s Mihaylo College of Business and Economics has been included in The Princeton Review’s 2012 issue of the “Best 294 Business Schools.”

CSUF runs the largest accredited (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business)  MBA program in California and the third largest in the United States. Fullerton’s business school has been in the publication for six consecutive years.

The Princeton Review uses the surveys of students attending universities or colleges that have a qualified MBA program. Along with these surveys are statistical information about each institution, which include student population, campus life, admission requirements and the student/teacher ratio.

The information provided by students and administrators make up 11 ranking lists which have categories such as best professors, best campus facilities, most competitive students and greatest opportunity for women, to name a few.

None of these lists claim to rank the schools in terms of overall quality. They are meant to be used as a tool for assessing what school is the best fit for each individual student.

Some students, however, feel as though the ranking does not necessarily add prestige to a university. Brittney Poff, 21, a fourth-year child and adolescent studies major, agrees.

“I think this does show that students are happy at CSUF in the business program,” she said. “It does not make the college more prestigious, but does show students believe they are learning.”

Although The Princeton Review is a well-known method of researching prospective colleges and universities, some students prefer to do it on their own. Jacqueline Mendoza, 21, an entertainment and tourism major, went that route.

“I spent a couple of months researching schools that were known for their business programs,” said Mendoza. “Cal State Fullerton was the only school that was in close proximity to my house and offered the area of business I wanted to study–entertainment and tourism. I did not, however, use the Princeton Review.”

Whether or not students use The Princeton Review to determine their college choice, many of the same criteria are considered in their decision. And even with the tuition hikes, CSUF is still considered a good bargain.

Students’ opinion in regards to CSUF’s overall performance has also been positive.

Tycie Forbes, 21, believes the Criminal Justice Department is good, but of course there is always room for improvement. The fourth-year student based this opinion on his own experience pursuing that particular major.