Devil’s Advocate: Noncitizen students don’t deserve our education

I don’t think students without citizenship should be allowed to attend school in the U.S.

I know it sounds extremely selfish to say that, but there are some logical reasons behind my argument.

First, our public school system is already overcrowded as it is. There is barely any room for the students who live in this country to get an education. For example, the entire CSU has been devastated by budget cuts over the last few years.

The CSU’s website states that for the 2011-12 year, the CSU is going to face a $650 million cut. When the CSU’s budget is cut, it has two choices: either raise fees or cut enrollment.

As a result of these previous cuts, the CSU has been forced to impact schools in the past. This means talented students who are deserving of an education are not allowed into our schools.

This can also mean that when the CSU allows international students to attend school in our country, fees are also directly impacted.

The CSU raises fees as a result of budget cuts in order to pay for its students’ educations. If there were less students in our school, we would have to pay less for our student fees. Why should we have to carry international students on our backs?

Another reason students who aren’t U.S. citizens shouldn’t be allowed to attend school in the U.S. is that our country isn’t exactly the best for education.

I firmly believe that the U.S. needs to focus its resources on educating its own students rather than helping other countries get ahead of us.

According to Justin Snider of the Huffington Post, “(The) U.S. has slipped from first to 16th in the world when it comes to the percentage of our population aged 25 to 34 with post-secondary credentials. We’re at 41 percent, or about two out of every five young adults.”

These numbers are shocking in comparison to other countries. Snider sets the situation up this way: “World champion South Korea is at 63 percent. Canada—with which the United States shares a border, yet which fares far better in this international ranking—is tied with Japan for second. Fifty-six percent of Canadian and Japanese young people hold degrees. Russia follows in fourth at 55 percent.”

How is the U.S. trailing behind all of these countries? The answer may lie with international students.

According to Snider, almost 80 percent of students who enroll in community colleges never graduate.

I always hear stories from my friends who can’t register for classes because of overcrowding. These people are forced to pursue their degrees at a crawling rate–one class per semester, if that.

Our schools can’t even handle the staggering number of American students who want to attend. Why are we allowing students from other countries the privilege of attending our schools?

The last major problem that we face is the Dream Act. The act, which grants illegal immigrants access to state financial aid at public universities and community colleges, laughs in the face of the law.
Is this really the image that we portray to other countries—too poor to support our students, too foolish to allow others in and too weak to enforce our own rules?

From left to right, Randy Ear, Julia Kong, Milan Le and Lauryn Dang represented Asian clubs at the Q&A panel.

‘Bao’ teaches us the importance of cultural identity and family

A discussion on cultural identity and food was presented at the Diversity Initiatives and Resource Center’s “Bao: Expression of

A photo of Stormtroopers from the 501st Legion in front of the Anaheim Central Library.

AnaCon: Comics and Sci-Fi convention brings ‘Star Wars,’ ‘Game of Thrones’ and ‘Harry Potter’ to life

Stormtroopers walked beside proton-blasing Ghostbusters, but weren’t catching ghosts or fighting the Rebels — they posed for photos alongside

Hank LoForte at the plate for CSUF baseball

CSUF baseball drops midweek matchup against San Diego

A five-run second inning was all the University of San Diego baseball team needed to win as they defeated

2 commentsOn Devil’s Advocate: Noncitizen students don’t deserve our education

• Let’s get something straight:
    NON-CITIZEN =/= ILLEGAL.

Just because someone isn’t a US citizen doesn’t mean they’re illegal. There is such thing as permanent residency (green cards do say “alien”, btw) or a student visa…etc.

Do not use “non-citizen” or “international student” interchangeably with *illegal* alien. Your usage of the terms deserves a retraction. It’s ignorant and there is a fine distinction. I had a green card/held permanent residence status up until a few years ago so I know this sh**.

That said, I think illegal residents should be allowed into our schools but their fees should be higher than US citizens and green card holders.

• “I always hear stories from my friends who can’t register for classes because of overcrowding. These people are forced to pursue their degrees at a crawling rate–one class per semester, if that.”
    In NC undocumented students must wait after deadlines to register for classes; if they do take up the last open spot in a class and a citizen tries to register for that same class, the undocumented student will be pulled out of that class so the citizen can have the spot.
    “Justice and Equality for all”?! I think not.