MADD sponsors Alcohol Awareness Week at CSUF

In News
Photo by Anibal Ortiz
The second annual Alcohol Awareness Week at Cal State Fullerton started Monday with a car crash exhibit sponsored by Mothers Against Drunk Driving and red ribbons tied around campus showing opposition to alcohol abuse.

The exhibit displayed the vehicle of a 25-year-old man whose blood alcohol concentration was two times over the legal limit. He died in the accident.

Students from Greek Life, Peer Health University Network, Housing and two teams from the Athletic Department at CSUF gathered at the Titan Walk Tuesday to illustrate the consequences associated with drinking irresponsibly during the “Other Hangover,” an event in which participants used chalk to draw scenarios of a day after binge drinking.

The event was part of a week-long series designed to educate and make students aware of the dangers of drinking irresponsibly, said Jackie Blyleven, health educator at the Student Health and Counseling Center.

The 17 to 24 age group has the highest statistical risk for abusing alcohol consumption, said Blyleven.

“If you are going to drink, please do so responsibly,” said Blyleven.

Students at the event agreed with Blyleven.

“The collegiate level is an important time to create awareness for students who are starting to drink,” said Patricia Soltero, 26. “We are like sponges for everything that affects our future.”

The psychology major thinks it’s more beneficial for students to get advice from their peers on the responsibilities that accompany the use of alcohol.

Events are scheduled throughout the week that provide educational resources and alternative ways to have fun without alcohol.

“Part of being responsible does not mean you don’t have fun,” said Elizabeth Blache, 21, a nursing student participating in the event.

The “Clothesline of Regret,” scheduled from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday, allows faculty, staff and students to express their thoughts by writing on T-shirts and telling personal stories of regret after a night of drinking, Blyleven said. Students are also invited to wear goggles designed to simulate driving inebriated as they take the wheel of an electric golf cart and drive around the “Impaired Driving Obstacle Course,” scheduled from noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday.

Accompanied by a CSUF University Police officer, participants will have their choice between low, medium and high levels of intoxication, Blyleven said.

Thursday kicks off the “DRY Challenge,” in which students are asked to refrain from drinking alcohol for the weekend. The challenge begins with a free cookout, said Maricela Alvarado of Greek Life. The event is scheduled from noon to 1 p.m.

Students are also invited to “DRYve-in Movie Night” at the lawn next to the Student Recreation Center Thursday from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m.

The TSU Underground is scheduled to provide free activities for students, such as bowling, billiards and table tennis Saturday from 11 p.m. to 2 a.m, said Alvarado.

The second annual Alcohol Awareness Week was sponsored by the Athletics Department, Greek Life, Housing and Residence Life, Peer Health University Network, the Student Health and Counseling Center, Associated Students Inc. and the CSUF University Police Department.