The thrilling season two premiere of “The Walking Dead”

In Arts & Entertainment, Film & TV

Disemboweling a zombie to check its stomach contents for human remains is pretty disgusting. Watching Norman Reedus do it on The Walking Dead? Straight-up sexy.

The season two premiere of The Walking Dead started off with a very promising beginning that mirrored the success of last season, which only had six episodes.

However last season’s terrifying intrigue seemed to decline slowly because each episode became less focused on thrill and more on long monologues and petty drama.

The characters are what kept the viewers, and the premiere provides more depth for a few of the characters that were second tier in the first season.

Dale, the wise older man whose character strangely resembles Lost’s John Locke, and Andrea, who is still feeling the loss of her sister and is now struggling with her own will to live, have some good scenes together in this episode. It’s clear that Andrea still harbors a lot of resentment toward Dale for his actions in the first season finale.

Rick Grimes, the conflicted sheriff, is still acting as the group’s leader and hero. His wife, Lori, was such an annoying and useless character last season, and she started out this episode still annoying and useless, but near the end seemed to show the beginnings of a spine.

The best improvement to this season was adding more depth, lines and overall screen time for Norman Reedus’ character, Daryl, the tough Southern redneck who’s an expert with hunting weapons. Daryl was a fan-favorite from the first season, but he was only a supporting character, giving brooding smirks and sarcastic one-liners.

The greatest part of the season opener was the beginning and the end. Both left a sense of fear and despair, giving potential for a brilliant season. The only problem was the middle. As the characters search for one of their own who becomes lost in the woods, they come across a small church, complete with a wooden Jesus!

Even though the plot was about finding the character before sundown and to quickly get a move on with their travels, the characters waste so much time in the church. There are too many teary monologues given to the wooden Jesus. Yes, the viewer is aware that Sheriff Rick is losing his ability to keep his cool, so why do viewers have to keep watching scenes of him talking aloud about his feelings?

Hopefully this episode allowed viewers to emotionally connect to the characters and their situation. The rest of the season needs to be filled with painful drama and terrifying zombie scenes in order to keep the viewers’ interest. It’s time to give the teary monologues a rest for a while.

One commentOn The thrilling season two premiere of “The Walking Dead”

• the one and only me

for anyone who reads the Walking Dead books, you know that much of the book revolves around the character dramas and their internal struggles more than the scare and gore of zombie attacks, although there is much of that as well. for fans of the books, it’s more of a let down to see how the show has strayed from the original story line by introducing new plots and, in my opinion, unnecessary characters. don’t get me wrong, the show is great! i just wish the creators of the show had stuck more closely to Robert Kirkman’s story line.

that said, readers of the books also will understand why the show focuses so much on the monologues of the individual characters. Each character on the show, including and especially Rick, goes through their own evolution from human to survivor. the monologues and internal conflict will help the viewer understand this better as the show progresses. all in all, it was a great season opener and i can’t wait to see how this is all going to turn out! well, i guess i kinda know but maybe not really.