Tweeting a decent income

I have a daily routine.

First, when I wake up in the morning, I roll over in bed, groggily search for my phone on my nightstand and check my Twitter updates. Next, I jump on my laptop, read my emails and check my Facebook notifications. When I get to class, I meticulously scroll through my Facebook and comb the news feed to see what everyone else is up to. Throughout my day my phone vibrates with updates from the 20 or so Twitter entities that I specifically forward to my phone.

In the time it took me to write that last sentence, I got four tweets.

Sadly, Facebook and Twitter are my real connection to the outside world. If I were offered a job that only asks me to do what I already do for free, why not take it?

That is especially true in these times of uncertainty. For the last few years, our country has suffered the pitfalls of a recession and struggled under the weight of unemployment, and as much as people like to hope that it might get better, times ahead are looking stagnant.

According to the latest report by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the national unemployment rate remained unchanged for the month of August and hovered around 9.1 percent. If there was a new industry that could bring work opportunities to thousands of jobless people, we should back it up. Right?

This is where social media workers come in. Social media workers act as public relations specialists for companies through social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter. Their work duties include sending out tweets, leading people to blogs and inviting people to events over Facebook. According to Simply Hired, a job-listing site, the average salary for a social media worker is $55,000.

Think of the work opportunities!

A study by Burson-Marsteller, a public relations and communication firm, led them to state in a presentation, “The Fortune Global 100 are now more likely to directly engage users on social media, and companies are increasingly ‘@’ mentioning and retweeting on Twitter and allowing and answering posts on Facebook pages. This is a clear indication that companies are now putting resources behind social media monitoring and engagement in a way that they were not 12 months prior.”

Companies are getting creative about the way they recruit social media workers. In February, fashion designer Marc Jacobs’ Twitter page, MarcJacobsInc., announced it was looking for someone to head its Twitter account and social media. The application to be considered for the job—a 140-character tweet. All it asked of the applicants was to be clever in their message.

There is a growing economy for social media workers because companies need them to promote themselves. Young people are the ones companies want to get the attention of, and what does our generation love more than anything else? Facebook and Twitter.

The great news for companies is that the youth’s love for social media and technology isn’t just growing, they are actually starting to depend on it.

A recent study by CourseSmart.com, an e-book retailer, and Wakefield Research, a tactical research consultant, found that 98 percent of the students they surveyed owned a digital device.

Ninety-eight percent may sound unsurprising, but the important revelation of the study was that, “38 percent of students surveyed said that they could not go more than 10 minutes without checking in with their tech device.”

Personally, my time limit is a lot less than 10 minutes.

In the three minutes it took me to write those last two paragraphs, my Twitter tab flashed with 21 updates and my phone lit up with two emails. I couldn’t help but check them. Through Twitter, Gucci’s social media worker just pitched me the idea that I can never go wrong with one of their two-button suits.

I’m sold.

CSUF men’s basketball optimistic about chances in Wooden Legacy Tournament

Heading into the Wooden Legacy tournament at Cal State Fullerton this Thanksgiving, Titans Head Coach Dedrique Taylor will be